drewb's Kitchen

drewb's kitchen



Posted by drewb (My Page) on Thu, Feb 19, 04 at 13:04

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the help on this forum. My ktichen is almost complete (mostly minor things remain).

The Main changes in this kitchen were to:
- Replace the formica countertops with Juperana Delicatus Granite
- Move the cooktop to a wall from the island
- Expand the island and add a sink, bookcases, and more drawers, and a small seating/hang out area on the end
- Install 30" ovens instead of the existing 27" ones

So in the fine tradition of "While you are at it" we also:
- Added panrty cabinets near the breakfast nook (no pictures of this yet)
- Replaced the exisitng sink and facuet, added Instahot dispenser
- Added a warming drawer
- Added tile backsplash
- Added tons of lighting (existing kitchen had 4 can lights in the whole kitchen)
- Elminated the desk and added more cabinet space and drawer space
- Added rollouts to all base cabinets
- Added kitchen speakers

Here is a summary of the products used:
- DCS 6 burner rangetop (17.5K BTU on all burners + simmer on all burners>
- DCS 600 CFM Hood
- Miele Masterchef self cleaning ovens (with rotissere, love 'em!)
- Miele Warming drawer (really love this!)
- Moenstone Sinks in black (Big single and prep sink)
- Kohler Vinnata faucets (big one for main sink, smaller version for island sink)
- insinkerator instahot
- Insinkerator 777ss Disposals (Very quiet! - and no drain without a disposer!!)
- Insinkerator airswitch for island sink
- Juperana Delicatus Granite with Ogee edge
- Tumbled Limestone backsplash with decorative limestone and stainless steel (looking) tiles
- Kenmore Dishwasher
- Tech lighting freejack pendants (Style:Firebird, Color:Swan
- xenon undercabinet lighting
- Definitive Technology in wall speakers
- Any needed new cabinets (or changes to existing cabinets) were made on site. ( I think the existing cabinets are Dynasty, but the do not make my color, Cabernet, anymore.)

Total cost (gulp) approx. $35,000, but hey, I drive an old crappy car...

Also the DW would like me to point out that we still need to replace the curtains.

We did not replace the floor (they run through too much of the house, this will be a future project).

Also, a friend took these pictures for me. They do not do justice to the color of the cabinets, granite, or backsplsh. I will try to get some better ones up, but I cannot find my digital camera in all of this confusion!

Please let me know what you think, or if you have any questions! Thanks again!

Drew

Here is a link that might be useful: Drewb's kitchen


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

That is a gorgeous kitchen! WEre those existing cabinets? They are really beautiful. I love your granite and backsplash!

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Beautiful kitchen. The cabinets really are rich looking.

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

I really like your color choices here. Very nice. And I love the lighting.

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Thanks All!
The cabinets were in the kitchen already. They are a dark cabernet color. The only problem with them was that the face frames on the drawers are so big that it makes the drawers very small.

We had two new drawer cabinets built, One under the phone area, one on the end of the island facing the range. The ones on the island end are huge!! 36" wide with full extention hardware!


 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Very chic, very sophisticated. It must be heaven to work in. That countertop acreage is enviable.

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

I love the way you worked the ovens into the corner. It looks terrific!

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Beautiful -- so rich looking! I love the granite. Do you have before pictures? You must really enjoy cooking in your new kitchen with those super appliances.

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Hey, thats a pretty nice kitchen, awesome layout, were all jealous.

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Congratulations, it's great. I love the layout, love the contrast between the colors and textures of tile and stainless, granite and rich wood. defintely jealous. that rangetop and your ovens/warmer look like you've many good meals in your future. And with good music capabilities from your new speakers, to keep the cook happy. wow. Enjoy!

btw: I drive a crappy old car too, and looks like I will for a long time to come LOL! not only lacks acceleration pickup, paint in conspicuous places, a glove compartment that will stay shut...doesn't even have a mirror on the right hand side...that was an extra when I bought it, I can't believe I was too cheap to get a mirror to be able to see! Funny thing is, I always thought I had a great car since it actually starts without a push--too many years as a grad student skews perspective like that!--most of my friends had none/worse, my partner's recently shed car had a windshield that needed to be scraped FROM THE INSIDE in winter and he lived way up in northern British Columbia LOL. Good thing we like to cook more than drive!
Thanks for posting your pics, enjoyed them.


 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Wow, that's a nice kitchen!

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Stunning kitchen! Very dramatic.... I do agree w/DW about the curtains though!

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Your kitchen is GORGEOUS!!! I have to ask - why is it called the Serengeti Kitchen?

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

yandj, Thanks! Why is it called Serengeti Kitchen? I should make up a better story but it is because I live on Serengeti Circle...

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Beautiful, striking colors, well done! I just ordered the Vinnetta Faucet myself, and was wondering how much distance there in between the top of you faucet and the bottom of your cabinets, I have 18" distance, which leaves about 2" of space, in your humble opinion, will this be "odd". I'm getting a 27"x15"x9" deep cast iron undermonut sink to pair it with, what is the size of your big sink?

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Belle, I don't have cabinets above mine. These are kind of big faucets. Here is a link to my sink. Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Moenstone Big single sink


 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Drewb,
beautiful kitchen, not my style, but nevertheless beautiful.
Loved the little shelf above the sink. Great idea!
Question, I am drooling over the ovens you have - Miele masterchef with rotisserie. Do you still love them?
Is cleanup easy after rotisserie use? The controls - they seem to be a little high - are they easy to reach and use? Are you using masterchef feature? comments?
TIA

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Love the ovens, they self clean very nicely and after 3-4 rotissiere uses, you need to do that...Controls are easy to reach, but I am 6'2". I just measured they are 65 inches off the floor.

I have used some of the masterchef features, but I often adjust the temp myself. The defaults have temps set about 25 deg. below where I think they should be. I could go through and reset them, but have not done it yet.

I also cannot say enough about the miele warming drawer...great design and heats up very quickly.


 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Stunning! The granite is beautiful, the layout is great, work surface is nice, love the ovens, ect.......
Great job. You must be very proud.

 o RE: drewb's kitchen

Very dramatic! I love that color cabinets with stainless appliances - very rich looking. Beautiful kitchen! :o)



Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger