chardon's Kitchen

Wendy's Kitchen



Contact: chardon (My Page)
Posted on Thu, Jan 16, 03
Link to kitchen photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?uid=873678

I am so new to this digital picture thing. Hope this works. Thanks for all the great advice and support; this forum has been a wonderful experience. We're almost done with the exception of picking out tile for our backsplash. The pics aren't the greatest, but should give you an idea of the results. Any suggestions for tile? We're thinking of a stone-like tile with a few inserts. I don't want to get too crazy as there is a lot going on in this room. We're also thinking of adding a very subtle brown glaze over the gold wall color. If anyone knows how to simplify my link, please let me know!!


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

It is truly beautiful. I love the cabinets, lots of character. You did an amazing job of concealing the appliances. I agree, keep the tile simple and the glaze would look nice as well. Congrats and enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wendy's kitchen



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Very pretty! I like the gold walls; don't screw with them! What color is your granite? The farm sink is really cool.Overall, a definite 10!

 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Thank you--the granite on the sink side is pietra imperial. It's hard to get, and they didn't have enough of it, hence the solid black on the island. I would have used the pietra everywhere if I could have. And I just love having a big sink!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your kitchen...looks like my dream kitchen...what kind of cabinets do you have..are they pine..they are gorgeous...

val



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Thanks val. It's so funny, but so many people discouraged me from pine. It's not everyone's taste; either you love it or hate it. It is a softer wood, but I went with a distressed look figuring the added dings would be less noticeable! The cabinets are the Essex style from Woodmode with inset doors. We did some beaded doors to add interest. I always wanted pine--this was my dream kitchen too!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Lovely cabinets, pine was our first choice but we got disuaded because of potential damage. Your kitchen is large though whereas with ours we have minimum gangways etc. You have done a great job though and it needs little else; the stone backsplash sounds a good idea though. Enjoy!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

What a gorgeous kitchen and wonderful space. I love what you've done and your Cluny looks magnificent! It is truly a warm and beautiful room. :o)


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Oh my! Just when I thought it couldn't get better, WHAM,the Cluny just knocked me over. I would keep the walls as they are.


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

I love woodmode and I love pine..thats exactly what I wanted but my husband vetoed it..but he did give in to inset doors..not to sound stupid but what is a cluny..

val



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

LOL...the Cluny is the model name of the Lacanche range I purchased. Have no idea why they call it a Cluny! Sounds English, but it's a French range. It's the 40" two oven style. Two votes for keeping the walls their current color. My walls in my two-storyfoyer adjacent to the kitchen are a very pale yellow; I just worried it might be too much yellow. But maybe the tile backsplash and some colorful accessories would downplay that. The painter we were using recommended the glaze, but of course they want to make money!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

I LOVE your kitchen. It is beautiful! What kind of stools did you get? Your kitchen belongs in a magazine!

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

mj



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Your kitchen has that definite "WOW" factor! Very impressive. (Your new pots are going to look Awesome, along with your stove...) Congratulations!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

What hood insert did you get for your Cluny? I have a Lacanche Volnay coming this summer...


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Thanks for all the wonderful compliments. MJ-The chairs were purchased from Hawley's Billiards, but the same chairs can be purchased from JC Penney's on line for $100 less (a poster helped me out here and I got the Penney's price!). They are called "Normandy" and are wood with a swivel base, and have the cutest legs on them!

Claire--can't wait to replace my sorry pans with the Bourgeat! Thanks for all your help.

Swissmiss-the hood is a Vent-a-hood. It's the liner type, and the GC just drywalled around and added the moldings. Still drying to decide if I want to faux paint on it or just add a plate rack to display pottery pieces! We have some pretty corbels to add under the hood once the tile is in (ok, once I pick it out!) Congrats on the Volnay. What color did you get?



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Great kitchen! I never knew pine could look that nice! I love the F&P DD's with their matching fronts. I think the wall color looks terrific, but if you decide to try the glaze, I suggest painting a piece of scrap drywall with the wall color and testing the look of the glaze there first. Ethan is a little doll :)


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Thanks Weed--your kitchen is also quite amazing. It's funny how many styles you can really love--makes it hard to decide, doesn't it?! The painters I work with usually do up several large sample boards before I give the greenlight, but it's still so hard to visualize an entire room. If I do it, I want it to be subtle as I do like the current color. I might wait until I choose tile and see how I feel about it then. (Couldn't help sneaking in that pic of Ethan!)


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

I like your kitchen as is-- without the stone-like tile backsplash that it seems everyone has. That's my suggestion, odd as it is, I guess. I like your wall color now in the back splash area. My route is going to be to minimize bachsplash to only areas where it is necessary for practicality, and then do something- anything- besides stone-like tile.


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

chardon: forgot to mention, my name is Wendy too :)


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

So pretty, Wendy. The Lacanche is just one of the highlights.

I was waiting to see your kitchen because you mentioned your kitchen had pine cabinets, black countertops and the black lacanche, much like I'm considering. I'll probablly get soapstone countertops and my cabinets/paneling has larger, more retro (dated) knots. I'm now thinking I should post some pics for help because I am unable to decide on anything (appliances, colors, sink, etc.) and I'm floundering and the remodel begins in a month...



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Rosyjennifer--I think posting your pics is a great idea. Ultimately your taste will prevail, but sure helps to narrow the options. It seems like you have so much time to plan and then BAM, you have to scurry!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

chardon, I'm ashamed to say I can't figure out how to post pics. I have a digital camera (Kodak Easy Share) which is totally dope-proof but I don't know what to do from there. I can email pics using the software, but when I read instructions on how to post pics it is as if they are written in a foreign language.

Do you or anyone else know of a site/way for a computer illiterate to learn how to post pics? I'd be very grateful for any guidance!!

Ps Your family is beautiful, too. I hope you don't think me too odd... Perhaps it was your user name and some remnant from my limited high school french but I had you pictured as some grand french dame; not the young mother and wife I now imagine that you are.



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Rosyjennifer-I too am "digitally challenged." Don't know if this will help...my DH first loaded my pc w/software my camera came with. Then we connected the camera to the pc which created a new E drive & folder with the pics. I saved this folder to my C drive. After that, I went to picturetrail.com which was recommended by other posters (that was the easier part). It gives pretty simple instructions that even I could follow! Thanks for your compliments! Gosh...I am a French Country fanatic, but hardly a grand dame! Chardon is where I live. It's a "subrural town" with horses and a maple festival LOL. Hope you can post your pics now, if not email me and I'll have my DH type up some instructions if mine don't work!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Thanks for the lead, Chardon. I'll take the photos tomorrow and see if I can get them to work with your suggestions. It's been 20 yrs since my HS french, but I think chardon has some sort of botanical connection. I can't remember my teacher's name, but this I remember...

Your kitchen has the elegance of French Country... I think mine is leaning toward Ozark hunting shack (except for the lacanche)! Pray the pics load and I can get some help!! : )



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Oh, well, now I'll have to start all over!LOL! Gorgeous kitchen, Wendy. Beautiful little boy. You are a lucky lady.


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Wow! I thought it was more of a Tuscan kitchen. Shows how much I know about design. :) I love the barstools, too. Wish I had a place for a couple in my kitchen. Enjoy!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Thanks again! Civilmind, you might be right on the style. It is kind of a French/Tuscan mix! Can't help it--I like everything.


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

About the name of the Lacanche: it's very French! Cluny was a Benedictine monastery in Burgundy, the most important monastic center in medieval Europe. Now we just have to figure out why they gave the name to a stove!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

What an elegant and cheerful kitchen. Everything works so well together. And the cherry on the top is little Ethan.

You have to keep a giant vase of sunflowers on that beautiful island. It will look so great with those pine cabinets and golden walls. Enjoy your great kitchen.



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Funny you mention sunflowers--I love them! Perfect finishing touch. Thanks!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Terrific kitchen! I'm getting a double farm sink this week and the granite people are coming to template. I can't tell, but, is your granite right to the edge of the sink. Looks like there is a slight reveal. Do you like that? What brand sink and what kind of reveal did they recommend? Also, is it easy to keep clean??? Thanks!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Great kitchen! I love the sink. We are looking for a large farmhouse sink. What brand is yours and what are the dimentions? Thanks


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Your Kitchen is beautiful. Where did you get the pendent light?


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Thank you all! The sink is Kohler and I love it--no regrets. Initially I had wished it was deeper, but now that I've adjusted to it, I like it just fine. The granite actually extends past the sink slightly. I had asked my GC to copy a pic I saw in a magazine. It is very easy to clean. I just use soft scrub. However, I'm going crazy looking for a rubber mat large enough for the bottom. Any ideas?

Psand--are you talking about the lighting over the island or the fixture over the kitchen table? The island lights are from Kalco. I'd have to dig to remember the other one.



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Sorry the light over the eating area. Also have you grilled on your new cluny yet? I love this range but I realy wanted a char grill. Just wondering if the taste is the same? Also i did not receive my literiture yet on the range, Do you know anthing about the fontenay price wise. That does come with a char grill option. Thanks Susan


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

One word - WOW!!!!!

Sue



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Susan--The fixture is made by Minka-Lavry. I'm excited about being able to change the looks of it. It has crystal globes of different sizes that sit in the basket and crystal droplets that can all be removed. So I could put dried flowers or silk flowers in the basket in spring or Christmas ornaments in them over the holidays! Lots of fun. I've had a great time using the grill on the Cluny. I use to put my steaks under the broiler. Now I sear them on the grill and put them in the oven--they come out great. Sorry I don't know much about the Fontenay pricing or the Char grill option--sounds intriguing. I didn't know they had any such animal! Keep me posted if you charge ahead on the range!

Thanks Gairmo (Sue)! We are enjoying it immensely!



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Hi Wendy, I absolutely *love* your kitchen!

DH & I want beaded front doors and drawers as well, but I'm reluctant to put them everywhere. We were noticing how nicely you mixed the beaded with the plain front doors! How did you decide where to use the beaded and where to hold back?



 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

So funny I'm checking this at 11:16 pm. Was looking to see if anyone was posting new pics (still in a tile choice dilemma and hoping for ideas). Glad I saw your post--honestly, I worked with the kitchen designer/owner at my local Wood Mode dealer. She was great. We agreed you can go too far in over-decorating. Oddly enough, we looked at the blue print together and pretty much agreed on what was the right mix. Actually, I almost thought to go painted on my pantry, but held back. Seemed to be enough going on already. So now I have the same quandry with tile. Will post new pics when I decide on that!!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Bump. Not quite ready to let go of Wendy's kitchen;)


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Bump. I still need this one around for inspiration...


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Wendy, email me pah-leese!!! Trying to get a hold of you and haven't seen you on the forum. You are the kitchen queen! ;^D


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Gorgeous! Right out of Architectural Digest. Excellent job. I love the architectural elements in the kitchen. I loved that fixture over the table as soon as I saw it, even before I read how you can change it with the seasons. Take a bow; you did a super job.


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Wendy, where are you? :o) I didn't want your kitchen to fall off so here's a BUMP!


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Wendy-Zolablue sent me to see your kitchen. It's fantastic. I'm an "owner-in-waiting" for a Sully. Your Cluny looks great. How high above your range is your hood? Thanks. Deb


 o RE: Wendy's Kitchen

Wendy: I really love your kitchen, hope you are still enjoying it! I wanted to ask you if you know about how big your table is in your eating area. I love the fixture over it, and was trying to compare the size of your table to the round one that I have. I really would love to replace the ugly brass one that i now have. Also, do you remember what brand your hot water dispenser is? I love the shape of it! Thanks so much for any help you can give! Carolyn in Bama

Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger