MollyB2's Kitchen

At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen



Posted by MollyB2 (My Page) on Sun, Dec 4, 05 at 21:08

Posted by MollyB2 (My Page) on Sun, Dec 4, 05 at 21:13

Hi all,
I finally took pictures and posted them in the gallery. I hope it's all in working order.

Thank you to everyone for your help. There are many details in this kitchen that I owe to the many people who posted in response to my questions and to others'. Thanks!!

I can say that the kitchen works well. I was worried because I thought it would be much smaller than I was used to in my old house. But, it's just fine and love to gaze at my little glass tiles. I know this is not the usual backsplash but I love my little glass tiles!!

Thanks again.

I hope this link works. It's taken me all night.

Here are the details:
The townhouse is new construction. The whole house is 22 feet wide. In the first picture, the window with the "sold" sign is mine.

Cabinets: Cardell, natural maple, shaker style. (This is the kind of cabinet that the builder uses. I don't think it will last five years, but they look pretty).

Floor: Red oak with a natural finish

Granite: Uba Tuba

Sink: Elkay 2816, 7.5 inch depth, stainless

Faucet: Grohe Lady Lux cafe in chrome

Cabinet pulls: stainless bows, five inch

Appliances: GE Profile dual fuel range; Jenn-Air French door SS refrigerator; Undercounter Frigidaire 27" convection; Bosch integrated DW; Maytag OTC microwave.

Tile: White 6x6 Walker Zanger; glass tile insets: Ann Sacks Dolce.

Stools: Pottery Barn

Table and chairs: Paperclip table from Knoll Studio; Arne Jacobson "7" chairs. Bookcase: Chicago three box.

Here is a link that might be useful: MollyB2's kitchen
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mollyberger@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/42d4&.src=ph


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Molly I LOVE it! The wall color is gorgeous, as is the 'splash. And that light fixture - - where did you get it? It's fabulous.

 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Very nicely done, Congratulations!!!!!

I have to ask what the heck is a "fat repellant" and will it help with my diet over the holidays?????????


 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

love it~

 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Just LOVE your backsplash glass inserts-- are they actually inserted or glued to the surface? My bifocals won't let me screw my eyeballs down that tight this evening :-)

 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Wonderful!!!

Do share how you did the cut outs for the glass tile insets - especially the noncorner cuts. Very unique!!


 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Congratulations! What a lovely kitchen. I LOVE the orange, and I am absolutely in love with your backsplash. Those little tiles are gorgeous, and so fun! I can imagine constantly enjoying looking at them, noticing all the differences and variations. You made wonderful choices.

 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

I tried the orange, but went too dark. I love your shade. And, those glass tiles are so pretty! Are they glued on? What a novel idea!

 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

WHat a great place you have! LOVE the kitchen! How about some details about your stuff??!!

 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your enthusiasm. I admit I can hardly believe I live here -- I think it's just wonderful and I spend (waste) an awful lot of time just gazing . . . ..

I meant to say that I listed the details in the gallery. The glass tiles are Ann Sacks Dolce. To say they are expensive is an understatement. They were the first thing I saw at the tile place and needless to say, could not find anything I liked as well. So, I picked out 45 that I liked. My designer and I put up a template of white craft paper with the 6 x6 tiles marked out. I had color xeroxes of the glass tiles that I then placed so that none would be hiding behind the knives or canisters, etc.

The white tiles are about four times as thick as the glass tiles. The tile guys cut out where the glass tiles were to go (they LOVED the template!!) and built up behind the glass tiles with spacers and tile gunk (sorry Bill V. for not knowing the correct word for gunk). They have to come back and straighten a couple out. The guy who did the grout should have said, "Molly, sorry to disappoint you, but these aren't ready enough to grout," but no, he just went ahead and grouted them in crooked. Some of them are ok enough -- they have a "hand-made" look (argh) but some are just too crooked to live with. So, that fun lies ahead.

The orange is SW "adventure orange."

Thanks for all your kind words!! It means a lot.
Molly


 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Molly - I'll echo the others and say how great that kitchen looks! the glass tiles are beautiful! Good idea to do a template so none of them would be 'hiding' - you must have been very well organized to even know where you were going to put everything on your counter before the tiles were done - good thinking!!

I saw your old bell on your kitchen shelf - I have an old school bell too.

and I also do not know know what 'fat repellant' is - guessing - do you put old grease in it? like in the old days.....can't see you keeping that on your kitchen counter though?????


 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

The light is called Le Klint, you can see it and similar ones at the link below. Don't know if you can get it cheaper, but IKEA has a similar style called KNAPP for $25.

Here is a link that might be useful: Le Klint lamp and related


 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Evaperconti, thanks for answering the light questions. It got away from me. that sale price is very good. I balked and balked at the light and it turned out to be my very favorite thing.

Alas, there's nothing in the fat repellent jar -- it's faith-based and totally ineffective. It was a gift from my children about fourteen diets ago.


 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Molly, everything looks wonderful! I love the tiles too, and the way everything goes together so well. Congratulations!

 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Your new kitchen is beautiful! I absolutely love the glass tiles in your backsplash. I can't wait to get to the point where I am picking out a backsplash although from reading this forum, it seems like it can be a difficult choice! Thanks for the warning on the cost of the tiles. Your whole house is really lovely and inviting!

Ginny


 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Warm, fun and inviting. Looks like you expressed yourself well in this kitchen! I LOVE the breakfast area. That came out terrific - great decor there.

 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Molly, I see nothing but personality in that space. Great execution. Those tiles and your fiestaware, your breakfast room pendant and nook chairs and even the dining room chairs in the background: Contemporary fun and colorful.

AND you packed a lot of function in that space, as well.

Congratulations!


 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Thanks, everyone. Pickles: the bells are fun, huh? On desperate days, I would hail the family with it.

And Shezzy: thanks. I was definitely after color and fun.

I could not have done this without this forum
--m


 o RE: At long last: MollyB2's orange kitchen

I'm green with envy. You're done AND it's wonderful! :-)

 o RE: MollyB2's orange kitchen

Oh my Gosh!!! The details are wonderful. I LOVE your tile!!

Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger