1930 Spanish Kitchen
Contact: yesdear (My Page)
Posted on Mon, Mar 30, 09
Link to kitchen photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/
- Cabinets - locally made face-frame of birch with inset panel & bead detail on doors, melamine interiors, Blumotion hinges and all the internal bells & whistles.
- Countertops - unoiled Brazilian Black soapstone with radiused corners and eased edge, 3 cm thickness, from Soapstone West in Escondido CA. Runnels by the sink. Mahogany top on the beadboard hutch.
- Backsplash - custom 2.5 x 5" Chardonnay color handmade glazed subway tile by Ken Mason Tile, Long Beach CA.
- Tile Mural - from Tierra y Fuego in San Diego CA. It is a "cuerda seca" ("dry cord") style of Talavera from Guanajuato, Mexico. The design is a Persian rug. We left off the fringes. We found the black quarter-rounds and 3 x 3s at a local tile store at the last minute
- Range - CornuFe in basic black.
- Frig - Liebherr 60" built-in. (Two 30" wide refrigerators above, two freezers below. Opens up like French doors but it's 4 separate compressors)
- DW - Miele Optima with panel front.
- Sinks - Rohl Shaws Original 30" apron and 15" undermount prep with ISE Evolution disposers.
- Faucets - Kohler Vinnata (K-690, K-691)in brushed nickel.
- Cab hardware - "Duluth" 6" pulls and 1.25" knobs in brushed nickel from Restoration Hardware.
- Appliance pulls - Top Knobs 12" pulls in BN. The DW has one mounted horizontally--also serves as towel rack!
- Floors - Original 1930 tongue-in-groove fir, sanded, repaired and refinished after removing 2 layers of linoleum.
- Windows - Custom arched 3-lite pull casement, based on a ~1930 design I saw in the neighborhood.
- Lighting - Schoolhouse Electric, all fluorescent GU24 except the pendants (too small for GU24 bulbs). Different ceiling mounts in kitchen, pantry and laundry.
Pendents: Northwestern 6" fitter size bases in antique black with custard shades.
- Hood - Best PIK 45 with custom arched drywall enclosure and remote switch.
- Paint - all Benjamin Moore:
~ Wall base color: Ivory White (925) "Aura" water-base
~ Wall green accent color: Mountain Lane (488) "Aura" water-base
~ Cabinets and trim: Lemon Chiffon (932) oil-base
- French door - ordered through B&B Hardware in Long Beach, CA
- Our CKD is Dana Jones, "The Kitchen Consultant," in Long Beach, CA.
- Our GC is Bob Kaplan of Long Beach, CA.
There is an HD TV with recessed bracket and concealed mini-amplifier feeding a stereo speaker in the ceiling. A stereo speaker with one woofer and two tweeters. Our contractor was able to create a space within the wall where the swing-arm bracket can reside--thus the TV is almost flush with the wall when retracted. We found that professional A/V guys are all over this stuff.
The windows are brand new, based on a period design that I saw on another home a few blocks away. The center lite is fixed and the side lites open in--that is termed a "pull casement" window.
Cabinets: Wall >12"deep
Cutting Board Storage
Filtered Water Faucet
Full Extension Drawers
Lighting: Under Cabinet
Peninsula with Seating
Plug inside Cabinet
Prep Area (Multiple)
Spice Storage (in the niche to the right of the range)
Toe Kick Heater
Beautiful! We just did a 1925 gut job and tried to stay true to the house. Not easy, and you guys did a wonderful job!