Monicakm's Kitchen

Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)



Posted by Monicakm (My Page) on Thu, May 1, 03 at 21:52

OK, I've finally given up finding the right light fixture for over the sink. I was waiting on that before I posted the finished pictures. Captions under the pictures include descriptions. Thanks once again to ALL the wonderful advice and opinions and support. We couldn't have done it without you guys!
Monica

Here is a link that might be useful: Monicakm's Kitchen

http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/kitchen_remodel


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Sure doesn't look like a budget remodel!! Congrats; you must be thrilled with the results. I love the dark cabinets and faucet especially.

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

BEE - U - TI- FUL !!!!!
:) ^5 Mon!

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Wow! Gorgeous! I love the granite tiles.

Just a thought, can you paint the chest freezer black so it doesn't stick out so much? I've been thinking about painting our old fridge so it goes better with the remodeled kitchen. We can't afford to replace it just yet so I was thinking at least I can make it fit in the scheme a bit better by painting it.

I *love* it!


 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Wow! Nice job! I looked at that same tile for about my range before we decided on granite. Small world! Congrats on a job well done! I love the granite, and it goes so nicely with the sink!
Kathy

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Very pretty kitchen, Monica! You guys did a great job. Now sit back and enjoy!

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Monica -- you got a million dollar look for a budget price. I love the travertine backsplash. Ryanne is a doll. You must be so proud -- at first I thought it must be you!

Pam


 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Looks great. I remember your struggle with the range hood cabinet. He did a great job.

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Oooh, beautiful! I love all the decorative touches -- that yellow jug is great. I can't believe the cabs are that old - they look wonderful. Everything you chose works! Congrats!

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Your beautiful kitchen is only outshined by the beauty of your daughter. You must be so proud with both.

Every kitchen has a budget and it looks like yours was large. Isn’t that what we all want? Well, you succeeded! Everything is beautiful and professional looking.

Use is in good health!


 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

You backsplash design is almost exactly what I want! I'll definitely use it as a reference.

How was that hood made? DH is very handy and would definitely consider doing something similar to replace the cabinet above the stove that has very little space. Any details would be much much appreciated.


 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Wow, beautiful kitchen!
Doesn't look like a 'budget' remodel to me.
The granite and backsplash are spectacular.
Is your range a Kitchenaid? Looks just like ours....
LOVE your faucet! what finish is it? It's lovely.
enjoy for many years!

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

You guys did a great job!!! I love it all. The granite tile counter top is especially nice! Did you do all this yourself (DIY) or contract out? How long did it take?

I can't wait until mine is finished!

Doris


 o One more question. . .

I showed your kitchen to DH. We have a question about your granite tile. How are the edges done? Was there a special edge piece you used? We were considering doing granite tile, but the tile company did not have an edge - they were gong to use straight pieces butted up against each other and we were worried about the sharpe edges. Yours looks smooth and slightly rounded. How was that achieved?

Thanks!

Doris


 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Thank you ALL for all the compliments! I guess I label it a "semi-budget" kitchen because if it wasn't for the fact that DH could do all the work himself we probably wouldn't have been able to swing it. Plus, not replacing cabinets saved a LOT of money.

ThirdKitchenRemodel, I mentioned your idea of painting the chest freezer black to my husband. He raised an eyebrow :) I think he likes the idea. I guess if we have to keep the thing, it's the best idea. Thanks.

Dedtired...uh yeah, that IS me...what was I thinking??...I wish!

weed30, that yellow jug came from TARGET!

Karenmaraj, David just looked at a wooden vent hood that was in the kitchen dept at Home Depot and built one. It's made out of oak. Then painted and glazed. What specifically would you like to know?

Yankeemom, yes, the stove is a KitchenAid. Faucet is by Delta...Venetian Bronze Victorian. I have descriptions of everything under the pictures (after you enlarge them).

RuddMD, yes, it was a DIY project. My husband is a whiz bang when it comes to anything (except plumbing) that has to do with construction. Plus he's a carpet/tile/vinyl/wood installer by trade. And VERY much the perfectionist. He could have hung the wallpaper, he's hung all the paper in the house, but I wanted to hurry up and get it up and we got a very good bid...the wallpaper hanger was hungry due to all the faux finishing going on LOL I'd say it about 4 months doing it ourselves. David is self employed and in the construction business so his hours are long. Most work was done on weekends, some after hours. Granite tile...the front (leading edge tiles)were professionally bullnosed/polished(as well as the tiles around the undermount sink). David cut and glued granite strips along the vertical counter edges. The bullnosed tiles just slightly hang over the vertical edge pieces. If you would like a close up picture, LMK.
Monica


 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

I love the floor tile, can you tell me the name of it?

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Tricia, the manufacturer is Marazzi. Style is Presidential and color is Springwood. It has many different looks depending on the natural and artificial lighting/time of day but it's NEVER as dark as it appears in so many of my photos. We refer to it as an "earthen" look/color
Monica

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

I'm happy for you that you moved the freezer out of your kitchen !! Now whip out that camera you're so good with and add to your album!

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Monicakm: Just read the post from "Jenny". She must not be looking at the same pictures I am. That is the most expensive looking "budget" remodel I've ever seen! It is gorgeous! I think "Jenny" must be very jealous.

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Beautiful kitchen! I've printed it to keep in my idea file! WHat kind of tiles and where did you get them (including the beautiful focal tile over stove)??

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Monica,

Your kitchen looks just great! Where did you get the relief tile of the fruit basket over the stove? I really love it!


 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Monica,

Great response to that nasty little "Jenny"! Not that she deserved one, but whatta comeback!

Seriously, your kitchen has been one of my inspirations as well, since we're also keeping our cabinets and not altering the layout of our kitchen.

Everything you did is beautiful AND timeless. And if you ever want to paint or refinish your cabinets (something we considered but decided to pass on after seeing your remodel), you certainly can, and everything else you've done will STILL look fabulous.

Re those cabinets: Did you replace the hardware or leave them as is? That's one of my big conundrums at this point!

Thanks!

Pat


 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

legallin; femmelady: Not sure which tiles you are asking about. I'm guessing the backsplash?? The tumbled travertine tiles were from Dal-Tile and the color is Mediterranean Ivory BUT it's also known as Classic in other lines. The deco tile is a resin made to look like tumbled travertine. It's from Marazzi, the name is "Fruit Mural". It's 12x16"

pgilford: Yes, I DID replace the hardware. It was much darker and seemed to brighten the cabs a little by replacing them. I would like someday to perhaps paint the cabs a creamy color with a chocolate glaze. In fact was going to but so many said NO :o My mom is building. I suggested the creamy glazed cabs and she's doing that along with the same granite I have, same backsplash and same deco tile behind the cooktop LOL. She'll have wood on the floor.

Thanks everyone for your sincere compliments :)
Monica


 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Bump

 o RE: Semi-budget kitchen (Monicakm)

Bumpering!

Comments:
monicakm, I don't know how I never commented on your gorgeous kitchen. It came out so great! I love those tiles especially. That is what we wanted and never found. I am sure you are still enjoying it every day as much as the first. Pat yourself on the back -- you did a sensational job.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger