Sweeby's Kitchen

Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen



Posted by Sweeby (My Page) on Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 16:05

Woo Hoo! My kitchen is almost done! Actually, the kitchen is very close to done -- it's the rest of the house that isn't done yet. For example, the flooring (as you'll see in some photos) is still in progress, and the views from the windows and door, which will be very nice, are still covered by plastic to protect from DH's flying wood chips. Construction materials and tools everywhere! Furniture where it shouldn't be. Still some touch-up painting to go, little odds and ends -- but you can see what it'll look like. I'll post to the Gallery when it's 100%.

Thank you to everyone here for your support and advice. It's a much better place
because of you!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Sweeby/01-KitchenfromBar.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweeby's Photobucket


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen


Posted by: DonnainMD (My Page) on Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 16:15
Wow, Sweeby. I have been following your remodel for months. I love it. Two Dw's!! Wow!! I love the built in hutch. Is the island red or pink? It is showing more pink on my monitor, but you have labeled it red on your pictures. Anyway, your choices are very nice. Congrats on a job well done.

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby -

What an absolutely beautiful kitchen! It is so warm and inviting - elegant and cozy all at the same time. A fabulous job - pat yourself on the back - at least twice!

Since the wild backsplash ride thread I was wondering about the results - just beautiful - WZ tiles are gorgeous. Are you loving them and did they turn out to meet your expectations? I think you made a great decision - it definitely looks like the long road of reaching that decision was whole worth it!

I love the mix of painted & stained wood - black, red, and brown - I love the mix of cabinet hardware ... I love the mix of soapstone & tile .... I love it all!

awesome awesome awesome .... Did I ask you this before? Can I have your kitchen when you don't want it anymore? :> ...


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Congratulations, Sweeby. How wonderful--and inspiring--to see such a lovingly and thoughtfully personal kitchen. All your cockpit needs is its pilot in charge. I've got to go rethink how I can make mine even more "mine" as you have done. Happy cooking!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby - What a warm & welcoming kitchen! You must be so happy to be done! I really like how you have the splashes of red around the kitchen. Very eye catching!

Enjoy! :)


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! It is so different and gorgeous. I LOVE your use of color, btw - such a stunning kitchen!!!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Looks great! I went with three different finishes in my cabinetry also. Glad to see someone else out there did the same thing and it came out looking so good. Congrats!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby, what a great kitchen. I like your hutch particularly, and your soapstone! What was the source of the soapstone? Yours is beautifully veined, not too busy but clearly soapstone. I want something very much like it for my kitchen when I finally get around to redoing it.

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Wow, Sweeby, wow, wow, wow. Great attention to detail. The hood is fantastic. People will love to see how you combined the soapstone and granite so well. Congrats on a job very well done!
Pamela

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

It's huge! Wow! What an awesome kitchen to work in. You did a great job! Your hutch is beautiful and I love the mix of countertop materials! Love your backsplash! That is a kitchen to enjoy for many many years.
JOY

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Wow, it's yuuummmy! Makes me want to pull a chair up to the breakfast bar, it's so inviting. So many varied & interesting elements. Everything is beautiful, I really love the backsplash, will have to look into WZ myself now :)
Congrats..

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

I want to know where you got your spice test tubes! Those are very cool!

Not to mention...you have an awesome kitchen!


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Nice, nice, NICE! Every time I look at it I see something else really interesting, and it all comes together so naturally. Congratulations!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Thank you for all the nice comments! I'm really very happy with how just about everything has turned out.

Donna - I'm really loving the 2 DWs also - much more than I thought. I did it half for resale, half for large family gatherings, but I'm finding it's wonderful to have for draining my hand-washed dishes. The island is actually a barn red with a slight dark glaze, but my flash washes out the color.

Socal_Ann & Neverdone "warm and inviting - elegant and cozy" That was just what I was hoping and aiming for! You couldn't have said anything nicer ;-)

Rosie - You caught my "cockpit" tag -- Truly, that's how I view it! Anyone who invades 'my cockpit' when I'm in the last stages of meal prep gets a quick kiss, then a gentle push out of the way.

Seeking & Allison - I like that you both said 'different' -- I was also hoping for some of that. But it's always so risky to do something you haven't quite seen before. I'm doing a lot of trial and error with this house...

Vjrnts - The soapstone is Santa Rita bought from a local company here in Houston who imports from Brazil. DH is a GC, so we fabricated and installed our own.

Pamela - I was worried about combining the two different countertops, but just couldn't pass up all of the beautiful granites I saw. Thanks to the Forum's input, I decided to go for it.

Joy - Yes, it IS a big kitchen, which is nice. Before we started, it was half the size (pantry to 1st column) and the family-room side was a peninsula. The only way to get to the hallway & pantry from the family room was through the kitchen - yuck! Fixing the traffic pattern was my #1 priority.

Mary - Glad you like the backsplash. It really pulled the 'cozy' element in, and added warmth. I also just couldn't resist that little touch of red ;-)

IWannaSell - The test tube idea I found here and had to steal. I use a LOT of different spices when I cook, so it was a Gotta Have for me. I bought the test tubes and cork stoppers on-line, and found a CD holder that was just the right size at Target. I just cut some balsa wood slats to make a little grid, printed lables on my PC -- and voila! No way I could have fit 40 spices into a 5"x10" area otherwise...


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby! What a lovely kitchen!! I really like the contrast of colors---the red island!! That copper hood is very much a conversation peice!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Love the kitchen, too. The mix of materials really makes it so interesting! The layout is great and it all looks so inviting and really well planned.

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby,
Just a few of my favorites in your kitchen: the killer hutch, the cockpit & antique copper hood, the fabulous Juparana Dunas granite, the amazing Santa Rita, the so functional divisions in the knife drawer, the use of black for the ovens and that perfectly textured prep sink. Very well thought out and should be the perfect place to hang out with you while you produce great food.

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby, I have been following you along on your journey. WHAT A FABULOUS JOB. I love the red island with the prep sink and your hood is really pretty. Show us more pictures from different angles. OH, the lighted hutch is great. I love cabinets that come all the way down to the counter. Some times I wish I had done that on the end of our cabinet run.

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Great kitchen! I'm so glad to see the multiple colors and countertops and a new color scheme! I'm sure you're going to truly enjoy what you've done. Congratulations!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Thought I'd post a 'before' picture just for grins... The sink shown at bottom left is where the current aisle is and the column at bottom right is where the cooktop is.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Certainly not the worst kitchen, but I like the new one better ;-)


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby -- I'm out of town, and logging in just to say that I'm all teary-eyed just looking at it. It's just gorgeous. Elegant, but somewhat rustic. Classy, but down to earth. How'd you manage that??? Love it!

Susan

P.S. What's with the hot pink island??? ;)


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby - you really did a lovely job on your kitchen. I love the hutch and your granite is to die for! It's a simply beautiful contrast between the ss and granite - what a great idea. I love it!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby, that is just beautiful -- warm, rich, friendly, top notch -- you really want to go in there and sit down (especially near that magnificant hood). Glad to hear the island is not hot pink, I'm sure it looks perfect, your taste is impeccable in all else there. Can't believe the "before" picture! Congratulations, and enjoy.

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Wow! Very beautiful! Is there a story behind that antique range hood? It's pretty darned fabulous, as is the red island, the hutch, the soapstone, the granite...

You and your DH have really done a wonderful job.


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby, in your "Before" kitchen are those double ovens I see to the right of the frig?

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Wow, that's an incredible transformation. Well done--it's truly wonderful!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Thanks -- I just can't stop grinning ;-)! But it looks like I need to adjust either my monitor, my camera, my photo-editing software or my eyes! The island's not hot pink ;-) it's dark barn red. The color of the bottom half of the leg on the right side in the in-line photo is pretty accurate. The rest, I guess, isn't.

Susan - "Elegant, but somewhat rustic. Classy, but down to earth. How'd you manage that??? " -- Awwww -- I was hoping for that. A tough balance to try to achieve though. Try explaining that to a retail salesperson and see what she shows you. ;-)

Orchidluvr - Thanks! Your kitchen is so beautiful, elegant and soothing -- I especially appreciate your comments.

Miss Marble - You know, the before picture looks pretty sterile, but there was really a lot to like about the old kitchen. Even though it was pretty small (1/2 size of new), it was very well thought-out (except for the traffic pattern). Almost all drawers, Plugmold, UC lights, cup hooks, adjustable shelves spaced closely, lazy Susan, undermount sink with integral-sprayer faucet. I lived with it for almost 5 years, then took copious notes before dismantling it. One detail you can't really 'appreciate' in that picture -- the rough exterior cedar siding on the soffits ;-).

TLsullivanct - Yes, those are double ovens, but not the same ones. The old ones were 24", and a constant frustration because they were so small. I went a bit overboard on the new ones at 30", which take a while to heat up...

Julie - Yes, there is a story behind that hood. A few years before 'shabby chic' caught on, DH and I were prowling in an architectural antiques store (aka junk yard) looking for a great old door to put in our garden. We found the antique copper range hood in a corner for $300 and fell in love. We both felt it belonged in our ultimate kitchen -- even though we knew we wouldn't be re-doing the kitchen for 3-4 more years, but at that price, we just had to buy it anyway. It took some work to find and fit in the hood liner, but it really captures the feeling I was looking for and works very well. That hood, and my ideas for a red island and black hutch were my starting points for the whole design.


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

That is just plain magazine-worthy. Stunning kitchen. I love all how all the elements are fabulous on their own, but also work together. That is truly a hard thing to do. What a great kitchen. Congrats!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Wow, it's breathtaking: The mix of colors and countertops and paint is just right. You have a gift. YOu must be thrilled!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Thanks Sweeby! I'm going to copy you on that! I found somewhere on line that sold them after I wrote to you, but the stands were outrageously priced! So I'm going to scout out Target and Walmart and see if I can't find something that will work for me!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Wow, Sweeby! Fabulous!! I think stunning is the perfect word! I love how the red island with the marble top turned out. And the spice pull out is wonderful! It's all just beautiful!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby, how exciting! I've been waiting to see what your kitchen would look like since you have contributed so many helpful comments and good advice to this Forum. Love your Santa Rita ss and the WZ tiles! Of course, I, too, am drooling over the one-of-a-kind range hood! Have fun in your wonderful new space!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Beautiful! I love the visual interest you've added by mixing up the finishes. I have a mix of cream, cherry, and a bit of black in my kitchen, so I love this look!

The way you've combined your cabinetry, soapstone, tile work, granite, copper ... it just sings. Great job, and enjoy!


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

ooohhhh, I hope I can achieve half of what you have! Are you alder cabs stained or natural? They really are quite beautiful, very warm. Not at all the natural maple color I had in mind but maybe maple just isn't what I am supposed to use........... Also, I have an old cream colored Hoosier that needs repainting, and needs to find a spot in the new kitchen layout, I wonder if black is the way to go. I was thinking of just redoing it in a cream of sorts. Boy, more decisions.......... enjoy that lovely kitchen! Kim

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Outstanding-just a lurker in here. I just can't keep quiet on this one, rustic and classy at the same time. What kind of cabinet wood and stain. My friend is remodeling and loves them. Great Job.

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby, what a great kitchen you've pulled together! It is uniquely yours, which is even better. I love your black hutch and your range hood, of course, and a barn red island too!! Congratulations on the finished product and enjoy your new kitchen.

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

What a beautiful and unique kitchen!! I especially love the black hutch & red island...such an interesting mix of materials used....I love the look you have created...BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby - absolutely beautiful! I love the black hutch and red island and the way you've mixed your lovely soapstone with the granite. Gorgeous!

I can appreciate now why you didn't give us any previews of your kitchen... you wanted to WOW us all at once!

Even though you are not 100% finished, may I please post a link to your photos in the Finished Kitchens blog? I'll update it once you have posted details in the gallery.


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Starpooh how does one get to the finished kitchens blog?

 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

jsaint47 ~ see the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens blog


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

You're welcome to include a link into your blog, Starpooh --- I'll post better pictures as things progress.

hee hee hee DH originally installed white outlets in the cook's island soapstone backsplash. Just after he installed the first one, I suggested that darker outlets would look better, but he got very annoyed. (Bad timing, I know...) Well, I knew him well enough to know it would bug him a lot more than it would bug me. So, I didn't say another word... He changed them all out this morning ;-)


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Sweeby -- I know that you know that I know that your island is barn red, and not hot pink. Wouldn't want you to think that I'd think that you'd think you'd paint it hot pink--hence the wink!

Your backsplash is just perfect! I'm having a hard time picking my favorite part...I love the soapstone, the granite--the combination of the two. I love the fact that you've got 3 different cabinet finishes and it all looks so...meant to be. What a great space! The glass doors on the hutch are beeeyoootiful!!!

How'd your corian in the pantry work out? Did you end up leaving it?

Susan


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

"How'd your corian in the pantry work out? Did you end up leaving it? "

Funny you should ask... DH is working on that as we speak. We've got it planned so that the old Corian countertops can be cut down into pantry shelves and a small desktop (for 'dump zone' closet) while keeping all of the finished edges intact. The pantry shelving will be a 3-section 'wall-unit' type cabinet with the center section being both deeper and wider than the other two. Sides, crown and base molding will be stained to match the kitchen cabinets; back wall will be beadboard painted cream with a dark glaze in the beads. The Corian shelves are cream speckled with a cinnamon color. If it ends up looking 'wrong', we'll just replace the Corian with stained wood shelves.


 o RE: Sweeby's 95% Finished Kitchen

Hi Sweeby! I haven't posted in a while, but I just had to drop in and tell you... LOVE IT!! Your kitchen is beautiful and it really came together well. You did a great job. I love the mix of materials and the flow. Gorgeous!

Buzz


Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger