the_endless_kitchen's Kitchen

The end has actually come!!



Posted by the_endless_kitchen (My Page) on Wed, Jan 4, 06 at 8:21

I've been a periodic participant and lurker for the last couple of years. As you may know (or can read from my little write-up if you click my name), my dh has been renovating our small 8'x9' kitchen for 6.5 years. He did everything from scratch all by himself with the exception of the professionally installed hardwood floor and the granite countertops. He built the cabinet boxes, drawers, and doors; did all the plumbing work (including moving the dw from the the left of the sink to the right side of the sink); installed the backsplash; built drawer inserts. Me, I was the client and helped figure out how we need to use our space, criticized, pushed and pleaded and finally offered rewards for completion.

Details:
DIY cabs and doors
Honed AB granite
GE Profile OTR microwave and ceramic glass top oven range
Kenmore DW
Paint: SW Tansy Green (not sure this will last but you can't imagine how many samples we went through and how totally irritated dh is with me for my fascillation)
Glass pendant: I diy'd it from a glass vase, dh drilled hole through the bottom and set up the electrical wiring, and I did the mosaic tiling with broken stained glass pieces. It looks far better when the light is on and so-so when it's off. Not sure it will last though. I'm on the fence about it.

Dh is still finished up the bar area on the other side of the kitchen wall. There is an 11' expanse of the honed AB granite (one slab!!) with hand-made cherry shaker cabinets on either side of the bar pass-thru.

Still to do: some punchwork type stuff in the kitchen, install drawer fronts and cab doors on the bar, and FIND BARSTOOLS!! My latest obsession!

Thank you all for contributing to this forum. I've learned so much from you all!

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Endless' finally finished kitchen

http://photobucket.com/albums/c10/the_endless_kitchen/


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: The end has actually come!!

Your DH made those great cabinets!?!? He's very talented. The displays at the top are perfect. I think you should keep the green AND the cool pendant.

Crisp, unfussy, lovely kitchen. Congratulations!


 o RE: The end has actually come!!

I forgot to mention that the photograph behind the stove is of my grandfather's supermarket, taken in the 1940s. The store burned down in the 60's, and he lost everything because he had no insurance. My father was so impressed and pleased when we unveiled our surprise backsplash.

The photograph is back-printed on vinyl outdoor sign material. Dh bought a pre-made cheap frame, cut it down to the right size, and silicone-sealed the glass (which came from an old storm window of ours) to the frame. Total cost = $15 (we have a friend in the sign business who did the printing as a gift).

AND the displays was a fluke. When we broke into the soffit there to create the full-height cabs, there was plumbing there. Dh re-plumbed one of the pipes which allowed for a 6" deep cab at the top, rather than the 12" deep cab for the rest. We decided to use that space for display. I think that's our bling!


 o RE: The end has actually come!!

Congratulations on being done! It turned out beautifully and your husband did a terrific job. I love the way you incorporated the picture of your grandfather's supermarket! The glass doors in the upper cabinets and the ceiling really add a nice touch to a lovely kitchen.

 o RE: The end has actually come!!

Thanks, sundial. That reminds me of another problem that turned into a nice feature. After installing the display cabinets, all the linear lines revealed that our ceiling sloped up about 3/4-1" (not positive it was this big) into that rear right corner. Also, to install the venting for the MW, dh had to tear up the plaster ceiling. My idea was to do the beadboard to prevent all the plastering work that would be required for the patch and the releveling. Dh was able to use shims to eliminate the uneven ceiling. If we'd known at the time that we were going to do beadboard for the backsplash, we might have gone with tin instead. But all in all, I'm still happy with the decisions we made.

 o RE: The end has actually come!!

Talk about a kitchen with personality...wowzer!!! It looks like you were able to pack in a LOT of function with plenty of visual punch. LOVE IT!!

 o RE: The end has actually come!!

I just love your kitchen! It's beautiful and perfect. Your DH has great talent. Congratulations on a great job!

 o RE: The end has actually come!!

More rewards for your husband...truly a beautiful kitchen. I just love the picture of the store and the red pendant. Both add lots of personality and charm.

 o RE: The end has actually come!!

Laura, your kitchen is stunning, beautiful and functional. I love a tight galley kitchen, such a pleasure to work in one. This will be a gem in the small kitchen blog!

Can't believe there are small kitchens that drag on longer than my own! It must be a great feeling for your husband to have done all this gorgeous work himself.

Congratulations to both of you, for your work, your patience, and your survival!


 o RE: The end has actually come!!

Loverly! Thanks for sharing.

Is the beaboard a sheet product or individual boards? I LOVE it!


 o RE: The end has actually come!!

Catkin- We got the beadboard at Home Depot. It's roughly 7" wide, primed MDF, and about 8-10' length. For the ceiling, dh painted each plank individually before installation to prevent additional disruption to the kitchen. However, doing it this way ended up revealing the seams in the tongue and groove, so dh had to seal the seams with paintable silicone sealant and still needs to do some touch-up painting. For the backsplash, he cut and glued the pieces together, painted, then installed. The backsplash paint is SW Duration paint (it's the scrubbable stuff).

 o RE: The end has actually come!!

Laura - bravo to you and your husband on this perfect 10 of a kitchen. I love the repetition of the beadboard on the ceiling and the backsplash - a great example of a few bad circumstances leading to a good thing. The geometry of those ceiling lines running toward the lighted display spaces is just lovely. The room is understated and serene.
Now enjoy!



Editor's note: this is another thread by the_endless_kitchen (posted in the Discussions section)

It's done!! Come see!!

Posted by the_endless_kitchen (My Page) on Wed, Jan 4, 06 at 8:28

Hi all! Believe it or not, the end has finally come! I've posted pics of my SMALL completed kitchen in the gallery. One thing I have to say that I neglected to say in the gallery is that this is the MOST efficient kitchen even though it's so small. I'm really proud of dh for all the hard work he's put into it and of myself for my patience! I'd say overall we were without a functioning kitchen for about 3 weeks total across the entire 6.5 years it was in construction. Not bad, I'd say. Although at times it was "functioning", it wasn't always so pretty.

We started with the original 1950's kitchen with light blue formica with a metal edge and no upper cabs on the left side of the kitchen and a broom closet beside the entry into the kitchen so there was less counter space. We created the U-shape by moving the dw from the left side of the sink (in the corner) to the right side. This afforded more counter space, although when the dw is open, you can't open the fridge which is directly across (not visible in the pics) and obstructs entry into the kitchen. Not a big deal when counter space is so highly valued!

Anyway, thanks for all your help over the years!!

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Endless' finally finished kitchen


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Congratulations!! Your pictures look like they can be in a magazine. It is so cozy. Love the beadboard backsplash! Great Job!!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Wow! I love everything! It�s an absolute gem.

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Wow! Your DH has done an absolutely incredible job on those cabinets - they look gorgeous. Could you send him my way for a few months to train my DH? ;-)

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

That is a great kitchen. Serene and cozy. I'm lovin those lighted upper cabinets. Very cool.

Tudi


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

That really is a lovely space. Do you have some family association to the supermarket pictured about the stove? I love old B&W's - so that's a very neat element.

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

I love it! I especially love the green wall and beadboard backsplash. How do you have a picture behind your stove? Enjoy it. :)

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

wonderful kitchen! Not just a galley--a gallery! Very smart!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Thank you!! I forgot to mention that the photograph behind the stove is of my grandfather's supermarket, taken in the 1940s. The store burned down in the 60's, and he lost everything because he had no insurance. My father was so impressed and pleased when we unveiled our surprise backsplash.

The photograph is back-printed on vinyl outdoor sign material. Dh bought a pre-made cheap frame, cut it down to the right size, and silicone-sealed the glass (which came from an old storm window of ours) to the frame to prevent moisture from seeping in. Total cost = $15 (we have a friend in the sign business who did the printing as a gift). Dh hung it on the wall, so it can come down and be cleaned properly if necessary AND in case we ever sell the house, the picture can come with us.

AND the displays were a fluke. When we broke into the soffit there to create the full-height cabs, there was plumbing there that would have prevented a full depth shelf. Dh re-plumbed one of the pipes which allowed for a 6" deep cab at the top. We decided to use that space for display. I think that's our bling!

Again, thanks for all the positive comments! Can't wait to show them to dh!


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Most definately worth 7 years, and I can't believe I said that. I about fell over when I saw you posted your 'finished' pictures. Thought the day would never come, but that is one great kitchen. The quality of craftsmanship is evident.

Just fabulous.


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Well worth the wait! Man, that is one gorgeous space. It's always especially nice to see kitchens that have challenged their owners for creativity due to space or budget. Honestly one of the most beautifully tight spaces I've seen. And what a backsplash concept! You and DH executed it wonderfully.

Congratulations!
Susan


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Congratulations on creating such a unique kitchen! It is truly lovely, and I love all your special touches that set this kitchen apart. You both should be very proud of your efforts. Well, well done!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

I'm beaming over all these wonderful comments! Thank you all!

Christine- Dh used his reward of a new digital SLR to photograph the kitchen (was more expensive than most of our elements!). I was impressed with how well the photos came out. You don't see the little flaws at all! :)

akrogirl - You don't know how many people are vying for dh's time, but alas, I've got him tied up with projects for the rest of his LIFE! Shhh... he doesn't know all that I've got planned for him!

grlwprls - First, love your name. Dh and I love photography, especially vintage ones. It was really great to come across one that not only fit perfectly in the space we needed it for, but also one that was so meaningful to us. It is very possible that dh's grandfather actually met mine in those days. His grandfather drove a produce truck in that area, and he recalled the name "Ackerman". Would be a great coincidence if it's true.

happymomof6 - Thanks for the support for the green. I've flip-flopped so many times! The last thing I wanted to hear was "Hmmm... it's green." Didn't want to lose the great feel we'd created.

Pecanpie and Garden - What a hoot! Who would have thought anyone would have said "worth the wait". I mean, seriously, almost 7 years? We've had 2 kids in that span of time (hence the 7 years). This kitchen is truly custom all the way. What you can't see is the left side of the fridge which is a narrow slit in which we were able to hang from cup hooks a broom and a swiffer. Nicely tucked away. Had to use every single space.

Thank you again!!


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Fabulous! It's new, it's vintage, it's perfect for your house! It's warm and cozy, yet also cool and sophisticated at the same time. And definitely, those glass display cabinets have great bling!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Hi Laura! What a gorgeous, stylish kitchen! It's beautiful and unique. Are those soapstone countertops? If so, I'm glad to know that visiting my kitchen didn't dissuade you!
Karen

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

I love your kitchen!

How did you do the lighting in your above-cabinet displays? I love that feature!


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Wow! What a transformation! It is beautiful. So chic!
Your DH did a wonderful job. The lighted niches sets everything off with interest and color. The eye just keeps moving from one thing to another...alot of interest in a small space.
Good job..enjoy your new kitchen.
JOY

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Just stunning!!!!... and heck... I am not not feeling bad that I am in our 3+ year of renovation :)

Maddiemom


 o Kkay-

kkay- Quick response because I've got to run. We were all set for soapstone counters, but the company we were going with wasn't able to get any good slabs in. Everything was uncharacteristic of all the tons of samples we had, and we just didn't want to risk it anymore. We ended up with honed AB granite. Similar look but without the gorgeous veining. When I see finished kitchens with soapstone, I'm envious, but then again, I am very happy with our final resolution. The honed AB granite has been truly wonderful to have and are incredibly low maintenance in my estimation. Thank you again for allowing us to visit your home and see an actual installation! It was very kind of you.

Laura


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

LOVE IT! My goodness, what an awesome job you all did! I have never seen a backsplash like that. Where did you get the idea? It is awesome!

Congrats, and enjoy!

Amy


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Wow! Great job! I love everything about it but my favorite is the black and white photo of your grandfather's store. I have a picture of my grandfathers storefront also displayed in our home. Congrats on a wonderful finished kitchen!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Your honed ab granite is a dead ringer for Alberene soapstone. Did you seal it? Enhance it? I can't stop looking at your kitchen pics!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Hi:

What a great kitchen! The picture behind the stove?
We're thinking of doing something similar!
Is that tile or covered with glass?


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Beautiful kitchen, lovely cabinets and backsplash.

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Pecanpie- The AB is sealed not enhanced. We spoke to StoneSource (dh is an architect and has some contacts) and that's what they recommended. We did tests with the sealed AB, and it performed well with everything we dished out.

Librarymom- At one point, we were going to have the photograph put on ceramic or glass tile, always with the intention of just hanging it behind the stove ... mainly so that it wouldn't be affixed should we ever leave since it's such a personal item. We did cover the vinyl printed photograph with glass; however, our sign friend said that this material was made to withstand extreme temperatures, plus you can't scratch the image as it is back-printed onto the vinyl. We just went for the added protection and ease of cleaning.

Allison- After all this time, I can't remember exactly where the idea for the photograph came from, except that dh suggested the picture. At one point, we wanted to have it etched onto a metal tray hung there and even looked into having it etched into AB granite.


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Love all the artistic touches - it makes it such a unique personal space. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

I really love the personal touches. They make the space one of a kind. Bet it's great to use too. Bravo!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Those cabinets look like buddah! What a soothing space! Thank you for sharing it!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Wow, how wonderful. Enjoy it!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

very beautiful. Extra nice that the bling (display areas above cabinet) were something happenstance! I just love when kitchen karma works that way. It is truly a nice piece of bling, as is the B&W backsplash. I also love the pendant light over the passthru. What is that -- I am still searching for two more lights and something similar would work for me in the corner of the living room. Care to share?

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

I love it! I love the beadboard ceiling, the lighted display cabinets, the overall look--everything! It is absolutely beautiful--simple and understated, yet elegant--just gorgeous!

I, too, am curious about that pendant lamp--I like that, too! Where did you get it?


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

It's all been said above...but I agee...absolutely beautiful!
All the personal touches just make it so unique and wonderful. Great job by both you and your DH! I'll bet you enjoy every minute you spend in your kitchen! I have to agree, well worth the wait.
Mary Lu

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

Tonda and JoMar- Thank you for the compliments on the pendant light. I mentioned this in the details in my gallery post on this. We made it. It started its life as a glass vase from Pier1, then dh drilled (and this took quite some time) a hole through the base with a special drill bit for glass and water to cool the bit, then I used broken pieces of stained glass to create a mosaic, using silicone as it's clear. Finished with charcoal grout. I think it looks better on than off. My back really hurt after all the hunching over my kids' small art table. It took a lot longer than I would have liked, but much less than 6.5 years!

Still have a lot of stained glass left, but not sure I want to make any more. Might consider selling to the highest bidder, though. :)

Anyway, truly a compliment since I think it looks home-made.

Laura


 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

You have a really beautiful kitchen - great design and great execution. The quality of the work is top notch and I'm so impressed that you DIY. The glass cabinets are terriffic. Enjoy it !

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

It's a wonderful kitchen! Thank you so much for sharing your photos.

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

I love it!
It's a wonderful welcoming space with great personality!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

You've created a very beautiful kitchen, and I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come!

 o RE: It's done!! Come see!!

More congratulations on a wonderful kitchen. Based on your description and photos, your before and afters belong on the pages of a magazine! Another question about Ackerman's--where was the store located? That name (and picture) rings bells of a long-distant memory of the little town where I grew up in western PA. I'm not sure if it's the same name, or just a similar name. Thanks for sharing your pictures.




Comments:
Laura,

Your kitchen is marvelous. My wife and I were humming and hahing over whether to get honed AB countertops or go with a light grey stone or corian for our white cabinets, but your pictures sealed the deal for us!

The beadboard is also an idea that we liked. Our place was built 60 years ago and there isn't a straight wall in it. Where there any tricks that you and DH used to combat wobbly walls, or did the beadboard hide the issue? Also did you put it on all the countertop walls on just the one with the sink?

Thanks,

Clive and Kelly.
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger