weed30's Kitchen

weed30's Kitchen



Contact: weed30 (My Page)
Posted on Tue, Dec 10, 02
Link to kitchen photos: http://www.pbase.com/weed30/root&view=tree

I guess I'll go first! Below is a long shot of the kitchen.

Details:


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Let me be the first to say: WOW! Gorgeous!! Great idea to list all the "ingredients" too :)
Congratulations and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Lainy - thanks! This is a new feature where it would be nice to post all the finished kitchens so they're all in one spot. Or just to post pics of anything really. You can only put in one pic per post, but then you can link to other pictures if you have them on the web somewhere.

Hope others come along - it's lonely over here!
Merry Christmas to you too!!


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Wow! It's beautiful! Great job on coordinating everything. What a warm, inviting space to cook or just hang out. What an inspiration - thank you.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Gorgeous! Clean and crisp, yet warm and inviting. Congratulations and have the merriest of Christmases in this beautiful new space.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Beautiful kitchen!
Everything is so classy and classic. I'm sure you will enjoy for many years to come.
We just had our tropic brown granite installed today.
It is wonderful; deep and warm. I keep seeing new little 'glints' in it as I go by.
Congratulations on a terrific job.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Weed, I just got around to looking at your kitchen pictures and it is
a fantastic kitchen , you must be so happy, I also sneeked a peek at your dining room and it's gorgeous, my dining-room chairs are similar to yours.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

I added some pics of the demolition phase this morning, if anyone's interested.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Weed,

What size island do you have? I'm trying to get an idea what mine will look like. How much of an overhang to you have for the stools?

Your kitchen looks gorgeous!

Thanks!

MaryJo


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

MaryJo: The cabinets are 66", the granite is 69" x 36". (12" overhang.) If I had to do it again I would make the island 75 - 80". I did my planning with a mockup using our old kitchen chairs, which were only 15" wide. The stools we got are 17" wide. It still works, but it's a little tight if 3 people are sitting there. The two on the ends have to scooch out a little for elbow room. When planning, assume your stools will be 18" wide to be safe! If you opt for stools with arms, those are about 24" wide.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Thanks for the info. Our island will be 78x42. Our kitchen cabinet people say that 4-5 people will be able to sit at the island. I thought that was pushing it and after reading your post, I'm thinking that we should purchase 3 stools initially.

Thanks again.

mj


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

What the heck are they thinking? That you'd be getting stools made by Little Tykes??

With 4 stools, you would have 19.5" per person, with 5, 15.6" per person. That's like airline seating!!! 3 will be perfect for you - 26" per person.


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Weed, I love the openess of your new floor plan. Wish I could do that with my house. And that dining room is gorgeous! What a find that dining set was! I'm green over here. ;-)

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Thanks civilmind - I was pretty excited about getting the dining set - it was at an estate sale and they had a $1500 price tag on it. The finish was that 1950's "limed" -- (bleached mahogony with a blonde/green finish), and had several raw spots. I noticed that nobody was really looking at it, so I bid $500 and got it! It came with 3 leaves and really nice table pads.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Oh how nice! I envy the space you all have to remodel with;-)

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Dear Weed30,

What an eerie pleasure for my wife and I to see your beautiful kitchen pics! We are beginning our kitchen remodel next week. Our choices for a similiarly L shaped kitchen included Schrock maple cabinets (cider finish), tropical brown granite countertops and island, tech monorail lighting with amber meteor pendants above island, stainless appliances, and a Kahrs oak copenhagen floating wood floor. Enjoy your kitchen!!


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

I too recently picked tropic brown granite, it should be installed in 2-3 weeks. Everytime I start to doubt my decision, wonder if it's going to be to dark...blah blah blah, I "visit" your kitchen and I always feel better. It looks great!

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

mweitzhandler - You have fabulous taste! ;) You will love every element. Any time we have new "victims" (people who haven't seen the remodel :) they comment on the little meteor lights.

pelky - I had the same concern - it is dark but not too dark. The color variations are beautiful and parts of it sort of glint when the light hits it right. Don't worry!


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Wow, what a before and after. Everything is fantastic. Loved your wave hardware. Saw your dinner photo. Your new kitchen must have inspired you!!!

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Endless Palate - thank you! I do love cooking in the new space -- plenty of prep area and since the walls are gone I'm not "trapped" in there.

The Cooking forum and the Recipe Exchange forum also inspired me. I've started hanging out there and gotten some great recipes, tips, etc. Trying new things that are excellent. Some folks on the Cooking forum post pictures of their dinners so that's the beginning of my Dinner album.


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

I must have missed this when first posted. What a good space now - well worth taking down the walls. And the choices of material colors are perfect for an open space. I particularly like the reeded glass cabinets and the big window by the sink.
Out of interest, do you use the island for much other than eating? You have 2 walls like us and an island but all of yours look a bit bigger. Our sink wall including refrigerator is 10', the stove wall 6' and the island almost 6' by 2'.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Mahnrut, thank you. Things we do at the island besides eating:

Read the paper
Use the laptop (phone jack on end of island)
Grocery landing spot
Buffet at parties - everyone loves to hang out around the island. Not just because the food is there ~ it is a nice comfy place to lean and a good height surface to set your drink.

I don't do any food prep there because I have plenty of space near the cooktop, however when I have a helper they can use the island.

Our sink wall is 10' long and the fridge wall including pantry is 12' long. Those measurements each include the 2' corner. Island is 69" x 36".


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Weed, I love your knobs and wave pulls. I was originally thinking of using knobs on the drawers and pulls on the cabinets. However, I'll be getting pot drawers and wonder if the knobs will be large enough for the size of drawer. So, my next thought is to switch and do pulls on the drawers and knobs on cabinets. I see some of your drawers have the wave pulls turned "sideways." I think it looks nice in the pictures but it's hard to tell. Do you like the look of the pulls on drawers, and , moreover, how do the Liberty wave pulls feel to your hand on the drawers? Thanks.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

I looked more at the size of the drawer or cabinet rather than strictly dividing them, ie, one gets pulls, one gets knobs. I was trying to get balance and interest at the same time.

My 42" uppers are huge, so I used the large wave pull. But the cab above the hood is shorter, so I thought it would look good with a knob. I was concerned that a sea of wave pulls all in a row would be too much.

I used the smaller size wave pull on the base cabs because I thought the big ones were too large. The large drawer on the island is just fine with the "sideways" wave pull - it is comfortable to use.

It's not in the pictures, but I put two of the smaller size wave pulls on my 33" sink tip-out. One large did not look as good to me.

Finally, the trash cabinet has a small wave pull - I could have done a knob there but it didn't look as good as the pull.

To sum up, I am not a fan of 2 knobs on a drawer, and I never follow "the rules"!


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Oops, I got the sink tip-out backwards; I thought it needed 2 pulls to look good but ended up with one large.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

I like your idea of seeing what looks good where. No set rules. Another thing just occurred to me. I'm "vertically challenged" at just under 5' tall. I probably won't be able to put the hardware at center (or a little above as one of your tips indicated)although I'd like to. Do you think the knobs would look good in the bottom corner of the cabinet? You're right that mixing knobs and pulls will look better (we,too, will have 42" uppers). Any ideas what to do and still be able to reach to open the cabinets?

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

My tip on putting hardware slightly above center only applies to drawers. This is purely a visual thing - you look down on your drawers, so if the knobs/pulls are dead center they appear to look a bit low. Knobs on the bottom corner of an upper cabinet are perfect.

Though you didn't ask, we have pulls on most of our uppers, and initially I put one on the bottom corner. It did not look good, so I moved them up a bit. If you end up with pulls on your uppers, try taping them to the cabinet with scotch tape first. Then you can step back and see what is pleasing.


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Hey, Weed! Your comment about the Bauer site backsplash sent me running back to visit your kitchen again.

It is so lovely -- open, airy, bright, cheerful, classic. You must be so happy here. And I love that your clever lighted cabinet. Beautiful!


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Love the kitchen...absolutely adore the dogs! Did you cook and serve the fabulous delicacies on March 10th at a party you hosted? If so, it's not fair to tease us and then not invite us.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Eileen - thank you...I do love cooking there! Finally enough space to prep, and when we have guests I'm not holed up away from everything. Guests stay out of my way too, since they can sit at the island.

I will be posting more pictures in a month or so when we get the new kitchen table & rug. That and some artwork will finally finish off the space. (oh, and still planning on cutting out the wall behind the fridge so I can push it back flush. DH is NOT for that idea - more dust - so I'm going to do it when he's out of town :)

MonaBlair - the dogs say thanks! They are spoiled rotten as you can see. The food album is for posts on the Cooking forum. There's an ongoing thread called "What did you have for Dinner" -- people post pics and descriptions, sometimes recipes. It's been inspiring for me to try different things.


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

I like your selection of shaker cabs and kitchenAid architect appliances..............but I have a question about your choice of cabinet handles. I thought it was all the "rage" to match the "trick" handles on the appliances to the handles on the cabs???? Is there a reason "not to"? Is it too much? In your opinon .......

http:www.myknobs.com/libkitcabfur12.htm


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Nicole, I wanted something fun and wanted to mix things up a little for interest. For my taste, all the same would have been boring to me.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

I hope you don't mind........lol..............when I said I "liked" your shaker cabinets..............I'm getting estimates right now to "copy" yours!!! Good job!

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

No problem -- we went to a party where the kitchen was recently remodeled....and copied their cabs! :)

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

This is a bump. No way we can allow this fabulous kitchen to scroll off the gallery yet -- at least not until we see the light fixture and the new table!

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

LOL lindyk! The table comes in Thurs. 5/8 - we took the old table out today in anticipation :) I am not sure when the fixture will be installed...I left a message with the electrician this morning. He probably will laugh when he gets my messge...except for this light fixture, he was done in November!! Of course I have found a few more thing$ I want him to do, so that should incent him to call.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Weed, which Amana easy reach fridge do you have? Do you have a factory-installed icemaker? I really want a bottom mount freezer to bring the veggie drawer to eye-level (no more forgetting about the grapes until it's too late!)and I like the looks of the Amana, but I can't decide which model.

Lionors


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

lionors, I have the 21.9 cf model, #ARB2257CSR. Got it from Sears. I do have the icemaker...had a bit of trouble with it - replaced twice - but that is not a reflection on Amana. There are only two companies that make icemakers, Whirlpool and GE, so no matter what fridge you get, one of those is in it.

Anyway, I absolutely love this fridge. It's great looking and so much better than my old top freezer. Having the fridge stuff at eye level definitely prevents those "science projects" you discover weeks later. I was also surprised at the amount of room in the freezer drawer, even with the space the icemaker takes up.

Keep in mind when you order that you can get it with a left or right swing door on the fridge. The very last letter determines that I think...mine is hinged on the right,(opens from the left), so the last letter is R.


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

weed, I ordered the fridge today! ARB2257CRS was the model I was interested in. I also ordered the F/P dish drawers. I am very excited!

This forum has been so much help! It's nice to go into the store knowing what you want, and in some cases more than the salespeople! The woman who helped me today was great, but when I looked at the DD earlier, the salesperson knew nothing about them and just sent me home with a brochure.

Now I am glad that I didn't buy from the first saleswoman, because the DD were $100 less today. Hooray!

Thanks for your help!

Lionors


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Can't lose this one--bump

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

I love the light! It fits in perfectly with everything else.

I also love the floating shelves. I have a 1939 World's Fair collection that use to be displayed on a high shelf-rail in a breakfast room. It has no home in the new house. When I saw your Golden Gate Expo plate I knew somehow we were soulmates (I have the companion NYWF plate).

jen


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

jen - I love that plate! I found it in a local antique store. Unfortunately when I got home, I *chipped it*!!! I could not believe it :( But you can't really see the chip too badly with the plate holder I have it in. I lived in the SF Bay area for a few years...I did the 50th anniv. GGB walk.

I enjoyed reading your page. I will be in Gulf Shores next week...I'll wave as we drive by!


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Your granite is just beautiful. I just saw it again in the granite close-up thread. Every time I think I've settled on what I want, I stop and go back to your pictures. It really is beautiful. The whole kitchen is gorgeous. Deb

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Deb, thanks :) I've got news for you, I STILL look at granite and wonder if I should have gotten something different! Especially when someone new posts their completed kitchen. I love ours and don't regret it, but the second guessing is normal I think.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

I also have looked at your pictures several times-- in fact, your gallery pics were the first thing I stumbled across when I was searching random phrases to look for remodeling information. That's how I found the Kitchens Forum! Here's another question: How did you get your trim around the windows and doors to match your cabs so well? Thanks--

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Hey Wendy..remember me? I think I might go for the Tropic Brown granite. I saw a piece of it on the floor when I went to a granite place today. I took it home, did the lemon test, oil test..and it passed! I was so shocked!!! I have had sooo many samples and most of them pretty much failed. Anyway I really like it :) I love the little "glints" as you put it..do you think they have more granite slabs with these glints in them?

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Carnelian - the matching trim was pure luck. I bought 4" unstained pine baseboards at Home Depot and one of Minwax's stains matched perfectly. So all the trim you see, even around the windows is baseboard. (Pine was not the best choice - it is very soft - but we have no kids living here and I am careful with the vacuum.)

Merjan - I doubt you will have *any* problems with Tropic Brown. There is a strip mall near me that has a huge outdoor fountain, and the whole thing is made with Tropic Brown! Pick out your own slabs to get the look you want - some have more black in them than others. (I liked more black.) Some of the Santa Cecelias are also very pretty - my brother has a dark version and it's gorgeous.


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Wendy, I thought of you when I came across this vase...

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed Barrel Vase


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

hehe - cute!

But imagine how I feel when I see all the WEED KILLER for sale...


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Im really considering getting a drop in sink Wendy..Where did you get your sink from? I really like the finish on it. If you dont mind me asking..was it expensive?

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

I got mine from a local plumbing supply store. It was about $450.00 I was pretty limited on my selection since I wanted two nice sized bowls and my sink base is only 33". At first I was looking at 33" sinks then found out I had to get a 31" sink. (I thought 33" meant it was for a 33" base - wrong!) Anyway, I picked out the sink online then had to search for someone who had it in stock. Nobody online had it, and I feel lucky to have found it in stock right here in town.

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Weed, I love your kitchen. It is one of the ones I keep coming back to for inspiration, it has such a nice ambience, it's elegant but too serious, appliance-wise. Love the wavy door handles. I also love the look of your cooktop with built in oven--wish I could do that, but it would not work with my sensitive back! Really, really nice!!

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Your kitchen & remodeling job are wonderful! What a difference! I like so many of the special details you have added. And, I loved all your other gallery pictures -- your dogs are just TOO CUTE (really love Taco's ears!). Also nice to see all of your creative cooking -- nice to know that these nice and expensive kitchens are being used! I know several people who have lovely kitchens and yet eat out most of the time! Linda

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Rainebeau - thank you...I hope my back holds out for a long time!

legallin - Thank you too :) It does seem like a new house to us. So happy we didn't move! (DH's original plan).
Taco is part chihuahua - she has her father's ears ;) Both are SPOILED ROTTEN.

I do love to cook, and after the remodel I started hanging out on the cooking forum here -- lots of terrific people there with wonderful recipes. (that's why the pics are there...we post photos of our creations. Very inspiring to see others' food and try new things.)


 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Ok Wendy have some question about Tropic Brown granite..It passed all tests, but the guy at the granite yard said that they seal ALL their granites. Was your granite sealed? I mean if it doesnt need sealing and they seal it..will it ruin the granite? Also do you put hot pots on your granite? what about the little pits? Im sorry for asking all these questions, but Im 95% sure that Im going for this granite and want to make sure :) thanx so much for your help!

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

You're kitchen is one of the one's I do keep coming back to. It's very simple and very elegant... love that. I think one of the things that make it so special is all the light. Do you have skylights that aren't seen on your pics or just lots of windows?

 o RE: weed30's Kitchen

Merjan - my granite was sealed. I don't put hot pots on it, but I have never put a hot pot on any counter! I really don't understand the concept of *wanting* to put a hot pot on a counter....either put it on a cool burner, a thick towel or a trivet! My granite does have tiny pits - it's natural to the stone, no problem.

lkay - huge windows :) The one over the sink area is 4' x 8'. There is a glass sliding door next to it. On the opposite wall is another glass slider and a 7' x 9' window. The front door is glass too, and in the dining room is yet another 7' x 9' window. I have no window coverings on anything! Our house backs to common ground, so nobody can see in the back, and in front we have a brick courtyard, so nobody can see in the front :)


I have a contemporary kitchen: Shaker style cabinets, Tropic Brown Granite, SS appliances and ceramic tile floors. Our house is a modest 1650 sf ranch built in 1968 in St. Louis, MO. My gallery includes before and after pictures, which will be of interest to anyone considering knocking out walls. We removed all the walls in our main living area, combining three smallish rooms into one large area.

I was the GC on our project; not something I'd recommend, but overall it worked out for us. I learned a lot, and I'm happy to share any advice/warnings/mistakes etc. to anyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: weed30's Galleries

Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger