mary_228's Kitchen

U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell



by mary_228 (My Page) on Fri, Mar 18, 05

Thanks to the many forum members who helped me along the way, I can finally present my completed kitchen.

Some background:

We are the original owners of our 14 year old home in Northern Illinois. We chose the original dark brown oak cabinets in a raised panel style (like our new ones!) for our 12 x 23 kitchen/breakfast room. We had a long, narrow island (7 1/2' by 26") that housed the electric cooktop with downdraft, a dbl oven on one end L. I hated running around the island getting to the fridge, and the walkways were so narrow that if the DW was open, you couldn't get past! The parquet floors are original and were refinished (unfortunately, rather badly). My goals in the remodel were to update the kitchen and create more functional work areas and improve ventilation. Our cabinet dealer installed an externally vented dual squirrel cage blower unit (350 cfm) in the wood hood and liner supplied by Bertch. It vents across the tops of the cabinets behind the crown molding andout through the back wall of the house.

I chose Bertch Legacy cabinets based on Forkfriend's lovely kitchen here in the gallery. I borrowed heavily from FemmeLady's peninsula design and Littlebitofheaven's glass cabinets with glass side panels. I learned about the Blanco silgranit sink from someone here too. I got the idea for the Ultima oven to replace my dbl oven from Kariagraphy on the appliance forum. Thanks to the rest of you who inspired me and supported me along the way.

Project details:

Bertch Cabinets: Legacy in Eggshell finish on birch
Tropic Brown granite (3cm) w/ large bevel edge
Durango 4x4 ceramic tiles backsplsh w/Sonoma Tantrum 2x2 accent tiles in earth, linen grout color
Blanco 1 3/4 bowl sink in anthracite
Kohler Vinnata faucet in brushed nickel finish
Moen soap dispenser in stainless finish
KA Appliances: Superba DW, Electric cooktop w/ touch controls, SxS architect counterdepth fridge, Ultima speedcook/convection oven combo
WAC low voltage halogen puck lights in cabinets and undercabinet
Halo recessed can lights in 4" and 6" w/ halogen floods
Quoizel chandelier, Barrington collection

Total cost $37K

Here is a link that might be useful: U shaped kitchen in Eggshell


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

I love everything! The granite looks beautiful with your cabinets. Your kitchen has such a nice peaceful feeling and is so functional! Congrats on a job well done. ENJOY!

 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

Very nice kitchen. Love the granite and the backsplash, particularly.

 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

Beautiful kitchen. I am partial to raised panel cabinets too.

 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

Beautiful! Very welcoming. I'm getting Tropic Brown also. I love the way it looks with white or creamy cabinets. Love the stools from Pottery Barn! They must be very popular, I've seen them in several photos....I might end up with them myself.
Great job!!

 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

Great job, very clean and crisp looking kitchen.
I too am getting tropic brown in my bathroom and was so glad to see it look so beautiful in your kitchen, it was hard to tell on such a small sample.

Love the glass cabinet too !


 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

Beautiful job Mary! Congratulations! We still haven't decided on a backsplash yet, but I was thinking about something similar to yours. Who knows when I'll get to it, but I'll be sure to post it when we do. Your kitchen really looks great! Enjoy...

 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

Great job. I love the china hutch and the lightness of the room. I too have a U shaped kitchen that I am going to begin remodeling. What a challenge. Well done. Enjoy!

Let me know if you have any advice heading in. See my posts.


 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

Great job!! Love the sink with the Kohler faucet. The backsplash goes great with the granite and the white is so cheerful ... especially with the glass cabinets! Job well done!

 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

Just beautiful and so welcoming. Question about the Real Solutions garbage. Where do I find that? We thought we were getting exactly that when we ordered cabs but instead got one where you open the door and then slide out - would much prefer the pull out type. Kraftmaid could not retro-fit because we have a drawer on that base. Wonder if it would work for 21" cabinent. Love the stools too! Also saw them at Linens and Things. DH and I are not agreeing on back or no back on stools!!! Enjoy!

 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

My cabinet dealer ordered this for me and his carpenter installed it. If your new countertops are in, it may be hard to get access for this project, but I agree that it is much better to have a door mounted unit.

I found it by googling it. Don't know if they sell to the public or not. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Real Solutions


 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

What a beautiful, kitchen -- you can't help but feel a sense of tranquility looking at it. I hope you enjoy many wonderful years in it.

 o RE: U-Shaped kitchen in Eggshell

Bump. Beautiful with lots of great ideas!


Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger