KellyFG's Kitchen

My 5k complete kitchen renovation



Posted by KellyFG (My Page) on Mon, Mar 28, 05 at 14:11

We bought a MAJOR fixer upper last summer. The house was vacant & in the process of being sold(to someone else) during the cold Long Island winter when the heating system failed & several of the heating pipes broke & flooded the house. The water ran for several days before the real estate agent realized something was wrong. The entire first floor was badly damaged, all the hardwood floors were destroyed, 90% of the sheetrock & insulation on the first floor was ripped out(this was all done by an emergancy clean up crew right before we made our offer on the house), there were no interior doors or trim & nothing but badly damaged sub-floors. There was also a 5 x8 bathroom that was totally destroyed by the water. So we had a long list of work we needed to do just to be able to live in the house.
We really had no budget for the gross kitchen, but we decided to do a total renovation until we can afford to do our dream kitchen in the future. We have done all of the work on our house ourselves, we have not hired any contractors.

*stock cabinets $1400
*custom formica countertop with beveled edge $700
*stainless steel sink $50
*discount faucet from ebay $45
*new dishwasher(discontinued) $147
*new microwave (discontinued) $98
*new lighting, switches, outlets $200
*crown molding, window casing $100
*new VCT floor & subfloor $300
*hardware from lowes w/10% coupon $150
*misc framing, sheetrock, spackle, paint

beware-The before pictures were taken the day we bought the house-not our mess :)

before-the kitchen was only 9 feet wide & NASTY





Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Wow, beautiful. Very warm and inviting. I especially like the wall color. Hey, you may never want to change anything. I looks great. Congratulations.

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

The transformation is amazing. It looks great. The crown molding at the ceiling really makes a difference. I think you get the Bargain Hunters award!! I do have one question though, it looks like there is a faucet coming out of the top of the fridge....what is that?

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Thanks!!
Dogie mom...its just a bread basket :) it does sort of look like a faucet though!

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

OMG!!! I can't believe the transformation. You're so talented. I'm tempted to send for you to spend a couple weeks with me,lol

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

WOW, you are definitely queen of the bang for your buck kingdom - you are AMAZING! Please don't leave us here at KF now that you are done, as you are an inspiration for all.

Your new kitchen is beautiful, very warm and stylish!


 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the compliments.
I'm new here but this site is filled with great ideas-I plan to stick around!
Thanks again!

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

KellyFG, you guys did an outstanding job. What a fabulous kitchen on such a small budget. You're an inspiration!

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

I just noticed the soffits (above the cabs), and see that with the crown molding, lovely paint and pictures that it actually looks lovely. What kind of pics are those?

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Mariposa-they are prints with a coffee/cafe theme. DH & I are big coffee drinkers. We built those soffits set back & to follow the angles of the cabs to add interest & make the cabinets appear taller & hide the micro vent, then we went with the larger crown molding since the ceilings are high, and painted the ceiling a warm ivory instead of white so it would really pop.

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Wow! What a great kitchen. Love the color.

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

KellyFG -

Where did you get your cabinets? They look great!


 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Jonnib...they are from Home Depot, they take three days to get & come in maple, Oak or white finish. We picked them for their afforability & because we didn't want to assemble the Mills Pride brand. They are not real wood boxes, but we are VERY happy with them. Our townhouse had builders oak cabinets & these are at least as good as those, maybe better.

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Beautiful! Shows great vision!

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

What a standout inspiration! LOVE the color!

That's quite a before photo, also. You must be thrilled. You'll be toasting that kitchen with coffee for some time to come.

Cheers!


 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Kelly,
Are those cabinets the American Woodmark which are available in stock here at Lowe's and also HD carries them. If so, the ones on display at our store do not look like full overlay cabs like yours do.

As I said in your other post, your vision is your best asset. I wish you could bottle it and sell it.


 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

What an fabulous transformation! Were those counters PINK before?? Ugh - our old bathroom had pink formica counters.

Everything looks amazing! Great job!!


 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Kelly: What height is your ceiling?

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

jerzee-I believe its 10'

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Kelly: I love your kitchen! The colors are beautiful and everything is so perfectly proportioned/balanced. You did such a great job!

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

thanks :)

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

KellyFG:

One more question. Are these cabinets located in the kitchen department/display area at Home Depot or are they off back somewhere else, like the Mills Pride? Bascially what I'm asking is, did you pick them out where they display the door styles/options in the main area of the kitchen department/display area at Home Depot and if so, what is the manufacturer? I went there yesterday to look for them, but could not find them. Thanks!


 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Joni, I believe they are the American Woodmark brand (I Think they're made by Mills pride) In my HD they had a VERY small display of base cabs & walls cabs in two finishes, but they don't stock them. You need to ask someone in special services or kitchens to give you the order sheet & then they get delivered to you in about 3 days. They come in white, oak & maple...all the door styles are the same. If you want more variation you need to go the mills pride route. We just couldn't be bothered with assembly, these come fully assembled, you just hang the doors.
hope that help!
Kelly

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Kelly,
Thanks for the info, you've been a big help!

Jonni :)


 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Kelly,
I love your kitchen!! What a great job. Warm and inviting!
That is one of my favorite colors!!

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Your kitchen is beautiful. It's wonderful to see how creative people can be when it comes to really stretching a budget. Your kitchen just goes to show that a renovation done on your budget can look just as beautiful as one done with twice that amount to spend. But please tell me what color that is on your walls, it beautiful.

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

thanks again, Jonni I'm glad I could help!
Debbideb-the color is Benjamin moore Audubon Russet in the the matte finish.

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Gotta chime in with everyone else's kudos on a fantastic redo. We have soffits too and was wondering what to do with them when we get our new cabinets. I have a wallpaper border on them now but am getting pretty tired of it and the paint looks great. By the way, are your cabinets maple or oak? Again, great job!

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

I am soooo glad I stopped by here today. We are working on getting estimates to remodel our very small Fl kitchen. You are certainly an inspiration for creativity and resourcefulness.Congrats on a job well done.

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

writers-they are maple, THANKS!!
Hibiscus, make sure you post your before & afters!!!!

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Please be sure and post pictures and progress of any other room you DIY- what inspiration!

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Hey Kelly!!

your kitchen looks familiar ;)

Its amazing what you guys did!!!


 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

hey erica, thanks :)
you should post you condo kitchen here for all the DIYers!!!

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Absolutely beautiful!!

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

This really is stunning. If this kitchen is any indication, your house is going to be a knock out. I know others have said this but it bears repeating. You really are quite talented. I wish I had you here when I was in the throes of my renovation. In fact, I wish I could have hired YOU to do it.

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Really beautiful! Great choice of color.

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Hi, great budget makeover. Are you sure the cabinets are American Woodmark, or are they Premier? I didn't think AM were delivered so quickly. Also, great countertop. What laminate did you choose?

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

cindy, Hi... we used Formica Butterum granite in sparkle finish. THANKS

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Thanks Kelly. What about the cabinets... I'm getting ready to order KraftMaid from Home Depot, but I'd be interested in comparing prices to the cabinets you ordered. What make, style and stain are they? They seem much more reasonable. Premier are frameless, American Woodmark is not.

 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

WOW! I'm in total envy of your talent...and the price -- unbelievable!

Hard to imagine that this is just an "in-between" kitchen; if mine had looked 1/10th that good, I would have played for keeps!

Congratulations on a job well-done.


 o RE: My 5k complete kitchen renovation

Lovely, inspiring budget reno ... bump!

Comments:
Hi Kelly,

If i'm counting correctly based on your photos, it looks like you have 10 cabinets + the big pantry. How did you manage that for $1400?


I asked for American Woodmark in Maple at both HD and Lowe's and I was quoted $2900 from both companies for the same amount of cabinets. Did you order these during a sale? I"d love to be able to get the same cabinets at YOUR price, but I"m scratching my head wondering how you did it! :p

Our space is 27 linear feet (for just "L" cabinets, no pantry near the fridge).

thanks for sharing with us!
 
Love the paint color. Was it from Home Depot also?
 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger