smbnobles' Kitchen

Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!



Posted by smbnobles (My Page) on Wed, Jul 6, 05 at 21:34

Well, almost. I'm still waiting for the window treatments to be finished and installed. Close enough for pictures though!

We haven't totally added up what we spent, but I estimate it to be less than $8k. We did a lot of the work ourselves and only hired out the granite and one wall of cabinets.

Appliances: Frigidaire Professional Series
Granite: 3cm Ubatuba with a demi-bullnose edge
Cabinet Paint: SW Divine White
Wall Paint: SW Nomadic Desert
Knobs and Pulls: Ebay (can't remember the name of the store)
Lighting: Lighting Source
Onlay over Arch: Kirklands - found in my attic and painted to match the cabinets

Just about everything else was existing, including the hardwood floors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Suzanne's Budget Kitchen Remodel


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

Excuse the drool, Suzanne, but your kitchen is gorgeous. I love everything about it. It's about the size of mine and the white cabs and paint are just what I was considering doing to my own. The thought of it being considered a budget remodel is in theory only. It is definitely one of the most beautiful kitchens I've seen.

You'll have to tell us how you painted those cabinets. They look perfect. (drool) Also where did you get the arch and the other cabinets? Enjoy your new space. You should be very proud of yourselves. You obviously have found your calling. :-)


 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

Beautiful job! I love the elegant colors, the little cut-out you put over the back door that matches that on your arch, and the distinctive way you installed the backsplash. Congratulations, and much happiness in your redone kitchen!

 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

Your kitchen is beautiful!! Love the whole look! It hardly looks like a budget kitchen, but congrats for accomplishing what you did for what you paid. Great job!

 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

Your new kitchen looks very elegant. Great job! I really like the new arch. Congratulations and enjoy living in your new kitchen!

 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

DecoLady, I actually ripped off Reno fan's cabinet paint and used her technique. I've been drooling over her kitchen for quite some time! The cabinets were a lot of work. If I never see another paint brush, I'll be a happy woman!

I had to sand the cabinets, wipe them down with a tack cloth and then vacuum them. I then used SW Primer for gloss paint. After that was another fun round of sanding, wiping them down and vacuuming them. Finally, I used two coats of SW Divine White, rolling it on, and smoothing out the surfaces with a brush.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! It was a lot of work, but so well worth it. I still go in there just to stare at it!

Now for the bathroom... ugh...


 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

DecoLady, I just realized that you had asked me a question about the cabinets.

I had a heck of time getting contractors to return my calls, or to furnish me with estimates once I did manage to get them to come out. I got so fed up, I decided that I'd just look through the yellow pages. Well, I lucked out and found the most dependable, talented cabinet maker.

He was great, and his prices were excellent. I paid less than $2k for the new wall of cabinets and the arch over the sink. :-)


 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

Suzanne, it's wonderful! It's too sophisticated to be a "budget" kitchen though :)

 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

Suzanne, you did a really beautiful job with that sweat equity. Can you possibly think of the woman hours you put in on those cabs and multiply by...$50.? Help me out people for a going rate for custom painting like this... Your kitchen really is a good example for a mag to show as a diy project. I tend to wonder who some of those people ARE when I read the stories, and here you be!! I don't think I ever had such patience; I sure don't now. ;-)

 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

You really did a great job. I love the woodwork over the sink. May I ask where you got the applicaque?

The colors are great and I LOVE the lamp ... what a wonderful, elegant touch.


 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

Absolutely gorgeous kitchen! I will be starting my kitchen redo hopefully next Wednesday. Can you believe I ordered the same appliances as you? Hopefully I too will have a success story. Will make a photo album as I go along.Again congrats on a beautiful job.

 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

Very beautiful. It is classy and elegant. Of course, I love the colors also. I used divine white and nomadic desert as well (latte on the walls).

It doesn't look like a budget kitchen, that's for sure.


 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

tlsullicanct, I got the applique at Kirkland's about three years ago. I purchased one in Texas, that was all tan in color and purchased one in Flordia that was painted in different colors (grapes purple, leaves green, etc.). I'm not sure if they could still be found, or not.

I do have some good onlay links and would be happy to pass them on to you. I've had a few others on here ask for them as well. It's just a matter of finding enough time to sit still to email them!

Suzanne


 o RE: Budget Kitchen Remodel DONE!

Hibiscus, I love the look of the appliances! They look like they'd be much more expensive than they really are!

We managed to snag the counter-depth at a Conn's Scratch 'N Dent outlet in Houston. The only thing wrong with it, is a minor scratch on the exterior and two shallow gouges in the interior that we managed to cover with electrical tape. You can't see them and it doesn't affect its cooling at all. We saved $1,300 on it!

All of the other appliances we purchased new at Conn's. I love them! Good luck with yours!


Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger