twochicklets' Kitchen

Two Chicklet's new (to me) kitchen

Posted by twochicklets (My Page) on Wed, Jul 27, 05 at 13:19

Since remodeling our kitchen 2 years ago, we have moved to a new house. I had nothing to do with this design of our current kitchen, and can only guess at the materials, but thought someone may like to see it!
GE profile DW
Dacor 6 burner double oven dual fuel range
Sub Zero sxs paneled refr.
Sub Zero wine chiller
Dacor MW
Dacor warming drawer
Franke sink/Moen faucet
Cabinets are natural colored maple or cherry (small grain wood)
Granite is most likely uba tuba, black with green and other warm colored flecks
Tumbled marble backsplash
Tumbled marble floor
I did add something to this kitchen, it didn't have any hardware so I added the pulls and knobs!
TC

Here is a link that might be useful: T.C.'s kitchen



Two Chicklet's kitchen in old house

Here is my kitchen. An interesting little tidbit- I originally posted my new kitchen on Oct. 15th (less than 2 monthes ago) and it has been viewed over 12,000 times on webshots! It has been downloaded 6 times. I find this extremely interesting, we must have thousands of lurkers on this site. Thanks to all who have answered my many questions and commented on my rooms, and to all of you lurkers, jump on in the water's fine!!

KA sxs
KA dw
frigidaire convection oven
frigidaire microwave
frigidaire warming drawer
blanco 510-887
kohler fairfax faucet
insta-hot
hardware by ebay
painted the cabinets
ripped out kitchen desk
tumbled marble backsplash in botticino
3cm demi bullnose granite...expo calls it Golden Flake..it is blue/black with gold flecks throughout
wall paint color is a copy of RL Hunting coat red
We started the project mid August!

Link to twochicklets' old kitchen

Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

Posted by twochicklets (My Page) on Wed, Oct 15, 03 at 22:45

It isn't quite finished, but a few people wanted to see the red, white and black. Need a light over the table, needs curtains, marble needs to be sealed but..

KA sxs
KA dw
frigidaire convection oven
frigidaire microwave
frigidaire warming drawer
blanco 510-887
kohler fairfax faucet
insta-hot
hardware by ebay
painted the cabinets
ripped out kitchen desk
tumbled marble backsplash in botticino
3cm demi bullnose granite...expo calls it Golden Flake..it is blue/black with gold flecks throughout
wall paint color is a copy of RL Hunting coat red
We started the project mid August!

Here is a link that might be useful: Two Chicklet's almost finished kitchen


Follow-Up Postings:

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: BAMA12 (My Page) on Wed, Oct 15, 03 at 22:59
Hi Two Chicklet's! It won't let me in to see.......!

 o Sorry!

Here you go, try this...

Here is a link that might be useful: one more time!


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: BAMA12 (My Page) on Wed, Oct 15, 03 at 23:25
Two Chicklets: IT's BEAUTIFUL!!!! You have done a great job! Your granite is so pretty...looks so nice with your white cabinets! I use a lot of red and white too, and I'm glad yours turned out sooo Well!

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: mitchdesj (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 6:53
Very cheerful and elegant ; I love it.... congrats !!

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: lgdirect (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 6:56
Wow, beautiful kitchen! LOVE the red on the walls and the backsplash. The desk thing is making me nervous though - we are planning for a desk made from cabinets but I'm wondering if we should just look for a regular desk instead. Unfortunately, I have to have it in the kitchen since there's no room anywhere in the house for my 'puter. Great job!

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: oshnwavz (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 7:05
BEAUTIFUL ! ! I love the red..

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: lkay (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 7:26
Beautiful! The white cabinets and trim looks so classic and crisp with the red walls. I like the blackboard message center near the desk. Did you buy that somewhere or is it custom?

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: debbick (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 7:47
Love the red! I have been thinking of painting my backsplash red. Great job!

 o Re: RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: twochicklets (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 8:40
lgdirect, don't let my desk comment scare you off! It wasn't really a desk, it was a small bath vanity cabinet and the drawers didn't hold anything (but make-up!) There is a picture of it in my before pics.

lkay, the blackboard/bulletin board was a great deal, $19.99 at Marshall's!!

Thanks for the compliments everyone!


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: beths96 (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 9:18
Great job! You posted on my message about painting my kitchen and dining room red, so I was waiting to see pictures of your kitchen. It's beautiful - exactly what I would have done with my kitchen. How do you like the Confederate Red color? I have the paint chip, and it's one of my favorites. I'm having a hard time picking out a red.

Thank you so much for posting this! The more pictures of red and white kitchens, the better, I think!
Beth


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: ohiokelly (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 9:22
Love this kitchen! The improvements make it look 1000x more sophisticated than the "before". This is money well spent as it looks like a totally new kitchen. Great job!

Kelly


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: vatmark (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 9:33
Great looking kitchen. Love it all especially the counters and red walls. I have a similar red in my dining room and love it. Great job!!

Ann


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: SueG (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 9:57
The red really compliments your cabinets. What color is in your room next to it? Did you take that into consideration when choosing the red?

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: civilmind (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 10:29
Very pretty! Love the backsplash and red walls! Everything looks great!

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

You managed a classic kitchen that's sophisticated with personality. Whew! AND in record time! Care to start a class for beginners?

What are you using your former desk area for?


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: Karen_sl (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 10:47
I love your kitchen...the red is beautiful!
Karen L

 o Thanks for all of the sweet comments!

  • Posted by: twochicklets (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 11:09
Beth,
It is Hunting Coat Red. I picked it because I saw the photo of the foyer in the RL brochure. I am better at selecting color when I can see a whole room and not just a chip.

SueG, My family room has light green walls with butter leather furniture and a red floral (with yellows and greens) chair and ottoman. The red in the chair is the red on the kitchen walls. My dining room on the other side of the kitchen has buttery beige walls with deep red window coverings and deep red chandelier shades. The landing on my stairs has a window seat also apholstered in the deep red, so the red flows through the house.

Clair de Luna, We will be using the old desk area as a command staition. One side of the cabinet is for all of the things that used to sit under the desk, my DH's briefcase, the video recorder etc. The other side is totally dedicated to the kids. All of there art suppies, and drawers for there school stuff. The 2 top drawers are all mine!!

I was always drawn to red walled kitchens and white cabinets. Thanks to everyone for all of the great ideas! I only wish I had found this forum sooner!!


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: GinaNY (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 11:21
Gorgeous!! I love the colors, looks like my bedroom :)

Great job!
Gina


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: Dedtired (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 11:22
I can't believe this is a re-do. It looks like brand new. Love the pic of your two chicklets -- picture in picture, I mean.

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: JMKdirect (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 11:52
I am considering painting my cabinets. You did a great job!!
Some questions for you.
Are your cabinets standard 30" height or taller? I see that you have an open soffit, but can't tell whether you have 8 or 9ft ceilings. (I am debating just getting new taller wall cabinets).
How many coats of paint did you use? And did you put a final sealer varnish coat on?
Thanks, Jen

 o TC's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: twochicklets (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 12:06
JMKdirect (Jen),
My tallest upper cabinets are 42" + the crown moulding. The glass door cabinet is 36" + crown. My ceiling is 9'. I plan to put my teapots back in the soffit area.

To answer your other question, my cabinets were stained and finished wood. The finish was in sad shape but the wood was in very good shape. My painter first deglossed them to "soften up" the finish. Then he primed them, then he put on 2 coats of oil-based enamel, STINKY!. It took a long time to dry but it is such sturdy paint they don't need a sealer of any kind. He told me he painted his parents cabinets exactly the same way 12 years ago and they still look just like mine.


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: silvercross (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 12:15
Beautiful kitchen, a great tranformation.

What type of edge did you pick for the granite? I am struggling to pick one myself and really like the look of yours.

Is it the small ogee or the labrado?


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: twochicklets (My Page) on Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 14:33
Silvercross, the edge is demi-bullnose.

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

Your remodel looks fantastic. The color coordination is wonderful. I, too, really like the red and had considered doing it in my kitchen as well. They say red is a great color for stimulating the appetite and making things more passionate.

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: legallin (My Page) on Fri, Oct 17, 03 at 7:16
It is just beautiful! You truly have a great decorator's eye! What kind of undercabinet lighting did you use? It just highlights everything so nicely! Love the red too! You're giving me courage to be more bold with my color selection.

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: twochicklets (My Page) on Fri, Oct 17, 03 at 8:53
Thanks legallin, I appreciate your kind comments. I priced halogen , xenon and fluorescents. We were over budget already and the difference between the xenons and fluor. (we had ruled out the halogens b/c of this forum) was over $400.00. We chose the fluor. you can buy at HD. I needed the light more for tasks than mood. When I look at other kitchens with more expensive lighting, it is apparent. I wish I had put in above cabinet lighting as well, there's is always next time!!

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: Demeron (My Page) on Sat, Oct 18, 03 at 14:31
Very warm and pretty... just the place to turn out holiday cooking!

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: jvwel (My Page) on Mon, Oct 27, 03 at 0:44
YOur kitchen looks beautiful. Congratulations!

3 questions if I may.....what finish did you use on your cabinets (semi-gloss, eggshell, flat or.....? What color are they and the 3rd question is what make are your appliances?


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: twochicklets (My Page) on Mon, Oct 27, 03 at 10:00
Thanks, jvwel!
Here are the answers to your questions:
1) Finish of cabinets is semi-gloss
2) Color is Kelly-Moore "Acoustic White" It is an oil based enamel.
3) My dishwasher and refrigerator are kitchenaid, My oven, microwave and warming drawer are Frigidaire, My cooktop isn't new, it is an 8 year old whirlpool.

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: vinelover (My Page) on Tue, Oct 28, 03 at 0:51
Beautiful Job

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: twochicklets (My Page) on Tue, Nov 18, 03 at 16:28
Thanks vinelover!

If anyone is interested, I have added new pics of my new table light, toile curtains and seat cushions.


 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: beths96 (My Page) on Tue, Nov 18, 03 at 19:39
twochicklets, I LOVE it! The toile looks amazing with the red, and I love the way you have your table set up. The light is gorgeous too. So are you finally done? It's such a pretty kitchen, and what a change!
Beth

 o RE: Two Chicklet's 90% completed kitchen cosmetic redo

  • Posted by: Merjan (My Page) on Tue, Nov 18, 03 at 19:55
Wow! What a beautiful kitchen. You've done a great job with all the colors. Enjoy :)

Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger